Avoid marital distress by learning to recognize these warning signs!
We've all heard the dauntingly horrible statistic: 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. No one wants to be a cliché, and everyone wants to find themselves amongst the 50 percent that beat the odds.
What if you could identify the biggest indicators before it was too late? What if you had the chance to turn it all around? Would you seize the moment, even if it meant taking an unpleasant look at the reality of your relationship and digging in to repair the damage? 5 Marriage Secrets From Happily Married (A Long Time!) Couples
Look at the indicators below to see where you fall on the spectrum of marital turmoil:
1. You become a one-woman consulting firm. You used to ask your partner for their opinions on a variety of subjects. Everything from what you should do about your difficult boss to what plans you'll make for the weekend. Those days are gone, and you find yourself making decisions without consideration for their feelings or how it might affect them.
2. You pull out your scorecard and start tallying. The ease of give and take has been replaced with playing "Tit for Tat" and you actively keep mental notes for how much you are contributing versus how much your partner isn't.
3. You anoint yourself king/queen of the castle. In a successful relationship, no one person's needs are more important. Your desires are equally considered and equal attempts are made to bring them to fruition. However, now that there is stress, resentment and tension, you make your needs priority one.
4. You move from teammates to roommates. Teammates work in tandem to get goals accomplished. They share ideas for how to succeed and envision home and life plans together. Roommates take on singular projects with no respect or thought towards the other person in the house. They clean their space. They do their laundry. Their separate plans become your separate lives.
More marriage advice from YourTango:
- WAY Too Many Married Couples Kiss Less Than Once A Week
- Why Do Men Get Married? [VIDEO]
- Am I Wrong To Like Sex With Married Men?