I’m done with games.
By Jackie Hill
I’ll be honest, I can be a bit of a pessimist sometimes, but when it comes to modern dating? I’m not even trying to be optimistic anymore. I suppose I’ve finally come to accept how things are in the age of never ending social media, and to be frank, I’m not really okay with it.
So I’m done with modern dating, and let me tell you why.
1. I’m done with having fragile relationships (if that’s what you can call these “things”) with no forward momentum. There is no point in texting me every day if you don’t intend to do anything other than have the same conversations.
2. I’m done with the term “talking” as opposed to “dating.” It doesn’t necessarily mean that anyone expects to have you change your relationship status immediately, but would it really kill you to say you went on a date rather than you just “hung out” with someone?
3. I’m done with finality being hammered into shattered egos even harder with being unfollowed and unfriended. As if it isn’t enough to be strung along and had your time wasted.
4. I’m done with seeing numerous articles on my newsfeed written about what to do and what not to do in regards to dating. Aside from common sense stuff, a lot of this drivel is just written for people who are too afraid to be open and honest from the get-go. Why complicate things when generally, you just know who you do and don’t vibe with?
5. I’m done with the ridiculousness of making guys feel creepy for approaching a girl. Here’s how it goes: a guy approaches a girl, if she isn’t interested, she politely declines, and they both move on. It’s so simple, and it works both ways. It isn’t creepy to let someone know you’re interested.
6. I’m done with the entire concept of a person who wears their heart on their sleeve being the “loser” of this asinine game. So what? She approached a guy and got rejected. Unlike you, who missed out and will never know. The earlier you know, the sooner you can move on.
7. I’m done with guys and gals alike feeling like they can’t be sad when someone ghosts them, because you can’t lose what you never had, right? Wrong. You are allowed to be upset, you are allowed to be angry and sad, you’re even allowed to reach out and politely ask for an explanation. Just don’t hold your breath on a legitimate response.
8. I’m done with games. I texted you back immediately because I like you, I’m genuinely interested in what you have to say, and I’m not insecure enough to feel like I need to wait 20 minutes when I’m not busy.
9. I’m done with people putting up with all of the aforementioned things, despite the fact that almost everyone is tired of dealing with these things. This is why I quit. No more modern dating for me.
If you need me, I’ll be over here, enjoying my life until someone comes along and wants to be a bit more realistic with me.
This article was originally published at Thought Catalog. Reprinted with permission from the author.