George Takei is a boss. This we all know.
When he's not fighting for LGBT rights (and taking on entire states to do so!), he's being master of the internet, starring in musicals, and doing about a billion other awesome things. He inspires us daily with his social activism.
So, we tallied up 10 of the many reasons we love him, along with some of our favorite quotes:
1. He's an articulate activist.
In his Op-Ed piece for msnbc.com, George calls for a boycott of Indiana in response to their recently passed "Religious Freedom" bill. He writes, "I myself am a Buddhist, not a Christian. But I cannot help but think that if Christ ran a public establishment, it would be open to all, and He would be the last to refuse service to anyone. It is, simply put, the most un-Christian of notions." Yes, George! #BoycottIndiana
— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) March 26, 2015
2. He's an amazing role model:
"If leadership requires a fired-up sense of purpose and imagination, it also demands a profound connection to the society to be led."
3. He has rocked many a pride parade, supporting his LGBT brethren:
"I'm a civic busybody and I've been blessed with an active career."
4. He and hubby Brad Altman had what was possibly the most epic wedding of all time (bagpipes and Nichelle Nichols? I'm in!)
5. He has his priorities straight:
"It's really hard to hate someone for being different when you’re too busy laughing together."
6. He knows how to please people.
7. He knows how to deal with haters.
Just look at his awesome response to anti-gay activists:
8. He gets us (like, really gets us):
"Social media is like ancient Egypt: writing things on walls and worshiping cats." (And, we humbly add, Betty White).
9. He has the best catchphrase ever.
10. And he can still make this move look cool:
No one was surprised when American Idol alum, Adam Lambert, came out to Rolling Stone in June 2009, including him!
"I don't think it should be a surprise for anyone to hear that I'm gay," the singer told the magazine. "I'm proud of my sexuality. I embrace it. It's just another part of me."
Yes, Adam's sexuality is just another part of him, just as much as heavy black eyeliner and sequins are in his raunchy stage performances. But at least he's comfortable in his own skin!
More juicy stories from YourTango:
- 7 Ways Love Transforms Your Brain
- 50 Love Quotes We Adore
- I Love You: 15 Ways Guys Say It Without Saying It