Our new survey reveals powerful insights into the relationship between love and food.
New York, NY (Oct. 4, 2013): The verdict is in regarding the "300 sandwiches for an engagement ring" debate, thanks to a new survey by YourTango.com — the leader in love and relationships. It turns out you can be a feminist and still enjoy preparing meals for your partner according to 85 percent of respondents.
The survey explores the role that food plays in love. And while it confirms the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, this is true only for a slight majority of men. What's surprising is that nearly half of women indicated that food is the way to their hearts. The vast majority agreed that food plays an incredibly important role in their relationship.
"We were thrilled to discover that almost 80 percent of people felt preparing a meal for someone is a significant act of love!" says Andrea Miller, YourTango CEO. "Conversely, only 21 percent reported that food is a source of tension or conflict in their relationship, with 7 percent claiming they could not agree on what to eat. Less than 1 percent said it was because the person responsible for meals doesn't cook well."
In fact, 90 percent of people surveyed say a lack of kitchen know-how is not a deal-breaker for them.
Additional survey findings:
- Over 50 percent surveyed admit that they tend to use food (especially junk food) to compensate for negative emotions, like heartbreak and loneliness.
- Less than 20 percent indicated that meeting for a drink or coffee is best for a first date; 48 percent prefer dinner.
- More than 40 percent say being with their significant others inspires them to cook more.
- In the age-old debate about whether a man should pay on the first date, over 60 percent responded yes.
Through October 11, YourTango.com is hosting its second annual Breakfast, Love & Dinner campaign. Users can enter a sweepstakes for a chance to win prizes from Destination Dinners & Max Brenner's Chocolate Shop.
YourTango is the leading media brand dedicated to love and relationships. Our mission is to help our nearly 10mm unique visitors/month live their best love lives. Whether the topic is dating, sex, marriage, intimacy, divorce, or celebrity love, YourTango offers an abundance of entertaining, engaging text and video content, providing an active forum for this all-important, never-ending conversation.
More juicy content from YourTango:
- 25 Romantic Ways To Say 'I Love You'
- 5 Ways To Be Happy About Your Love Life Right Now!
- Love Quotes On YourTango