While Christian Grey is a notorious commitment-phobe in the book, it turns out Hunnam hasn't had an issue with that. Before he got with his girlfriend of six years, Morgana McNelis (learn more about her here), he was married to 35-year-old actress Katharine Payne Towne from 1999 to 2002. Here's what we know about the former Mrs. Hunnam for sure: She's witty, fun and beautiful (check out her green eyes!).
Oh, and she may be into ladies.
1. She's into girly men—and possibly girls, too: She told Maxim, "I've never explored any lesbian tendencies, but I talk about it plenty. I like guys who look like girls—why wouldn't I like girls who are girls?" Ladies, get in line!
2. She kicked Buffy's behind ... and then got slayed.
In Season 4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Towne guest starred as a vampire gang leader named Sunday. She was badass enough to actually injure Buffy, doing a number on the vamp-busting vixen's arm. But when Sunday damaged Buffy's Class Protector Award, it was on like Donkey Kong, and Buffy whooped her behind with a tennis racket. Hey, there are worse ways to go!
3. She and Charlie Hunnam met at an audition for a show you were probably addicted to once.
Buffy wasn't Towne's only CW (then the WB) rodeo. She and Hunnam met when they both auditioned for roles on Dawson's Creek. Neither of them nabbed the role, but they did nab each other—for a while, at least.
4. Charlie Hunnam wasn't her only Hollywood romance (sort of).
Towne admits she and notorious ladies man Warren Beatty hit it off, though nothing ever actually happened between them. He's married, after all! She explains, "He flirts in a very harmless, affectionate way, but I have a big soft spot for him. If you don't flirt, you're probably dead inside."
5. She's already sick of hearing about Fifty Shades of Grey.
She tweeted, "Will f--- for people to stop asking me about '50 Shades of Grey.'" Brace yourself, Kate. It's only going to get worse! (Cool fact: Busy Philipps is one of her followers.)
6. She may have the best dating advice ever for guys.
"The truth about girls is that you guys can buy or do whatever you want, and that won't make us like you any more or make us want to have sex with you," she explains. "At the end of the day, as my dad says, you have to learn that women are always right." Damn skippy!
7. Fame is in her blood. Katharine was born in Hollywood on July 17, 1978 to actress Julie Payne and Robert Towne, an Oscar-winning screenwriter, director, and actor. For good measure, her grandparents were actors, too.
More exciting articles from YourTango:
- 12 Naughtiest Bits From '50 Shades Darker'
- Meet Christian Grey! What You Need To Know About Charlie Hunnam
Who Is Dakota Johnson, The Actress Playing Ana Steele?