Choosing whether or not to spend the rest of your life with a guy is a pretty weighty decision, on par with other scary decisions like whether you should eventually be responsible for the well-being of another human. Or whether you should have pizza for the fourth day in a row.
So, how do you know if your beau is husband material? It's a toughie. How can you ever really know that he's going to be the type of guy you can count on when push comes to shove? The type who will still wine you and dine you after you've been together for five trillion years? The type whose happiness will always be crucial to your own (and vice versa)? The guy who understands that you're obsessed with cats on the Internet (even though he doesn't understand why).
So, without further adieu, here are 15 random signs this one's a keeper:
1. He indulges your guilty pleasures. A guy who's husband material comes home from a long day at work, bypasses his man cave, ambles on over to you instead and up-ends his backpack to drop five bags of Cadbury mini eggs onto the table—and he doesn't even like chocolate. Then he says, "Muffin top? What muffin top? I love your curves." Swoon.
2. He brags about you to anyone who will listen. A guy who's husband material talks you up to his friends, family, his dry cleaner, the guy at the deli on the corner, his hairdresser, the old woman who lives next door and is always concerned about whether he's "met a nice girl yet" … even (gulp) his mom. Because he thinks you're talented and amazing and gorgeous, and goddamn, everyone should know.
3. He loves your cats. Or at he least pretends to. Or at the very least he doesn't complain (too much) when, within one week of meeting you, every article of clothing he owns looks like it's growing a beard.
4. He likes your brand of crazy. A guy who's husband material sticks around, even when you're totally irrational or downright bitchy. He recognizes that he can be a pain in the butt, too. Because dude. You get each other.
5. He accompanies you on weekly visits to the nursing home to visit your grandfather. He knows that seeing your grandfather there breaks your heart. And then he engages in enthusiastic conversation with your grandfather, even though he's already heard every story the guy's ever told approximately 5,238 times since you first started seeing each other. That guy is husband material.
6. He fights fair. A guy who's husband material takes a step back and becomes the voice of reason in the midst of your most volatile arguments. Perhaps he even suggests the two of you try that reflexive listening exercise your couples therapist taught you, even though he didn't want to go to a shrink in the first place. But he did anyway. Keep reading ...
More dating advice from YourTango: