Expert flirting tips from a certified wingman. Plus, what is the "triangle" technique?
There's at least one person out there who writes "professional wingman" in the occupation box on their tax returns each year, and that person is Thomas Edwards, founder and CEO of The Professional Wingman. The Professional Wingman is a consulting service that offers an array of packages to help shy men and women (but, naturally, 80 percent of the clients men, he says) approach prospective dates, flirt, charm and seal the deal for a first date and beyond.
Edwards was a speaker last weekend at the annual Single in Stilettos event and luckily for us, gave the audience a crash course in flirting and some expert tips typically only reserved for paying clients. Here are some of his favorite expert flirting tips:
1. Pay attention to the body: Body language, Edwards says, is the "quintessential element to being able to attract someone." No matter how impeccably groomed you are, all your expensive perfume may be in vain if you can't master the art of smiling, careful positioning and playful touching. Edwards recommends ladies turn your body and cross your legs toward the object of your affection and emphasize whatever you say with a light touch on the knee. "Touching amplifies whatever you're going to say and lucky for you, very few things like this will actively make a guy uncomfortable."
2. Learn how to tease: Edwards swears that it's the push-pull dynamic of early courtship that leads to lasting love ... or at least to hot sex. It's a clever mix of complimenting, teasing and touching that yields the most results, he says. Making fun of your crush gives you the "edge" in conversation, so make sure to add in a few jabs with a wink, but similar to pulling a girl's pigtails on the playground, you have to make sure the jokes don't hit too below the belt.
3. Listen and remember: It's important, once you get to talking, that you a) remember his name and b) bring up something he says later on in conversation. Make the conversation collaborative, not just pauses between hearing the other one speak. Edwards also wants to remind all of us that men have just as many insecurities as we do. If the guy says something a touch awkward, keep the smile and let the conversation chug on.
4. Want a kiss? Learn "the triangle:" If it's reached that time of the night and you've heard all you need to know about where he traveled in Europe and why he prefers beer to wine, take a minute to indulge in "the triangle." First clear your face of hair, position your body toward him and tilt your head up. Then lock eyes and move yours from his left to right eye and then down to his lips. Repeat until he gets the hint; dust yourself off and move on if he doesn't.
What are your favorite flirting tips?
More juicy content from YourTango:
- 5 Must-Know Flirting Techniques That NO Man Can Resist
- Flirting 101: 8 Ways To Get ANY Guy You Want (For Real, Ladies!)
- How To Kiss A Man So He'll NEVER Forget You (According To A Guy)