We'll say it: After you've been with your S.O. for a fair amount of time, the glow wears off just a bit. You no longer feel like jumping him wherever there's a flat surface and your sex life isn't always super-steamy.
If you're not careful, the word "monogamy" will eventually become synonymous with "ho-hum." But, that doesn't have to happen! There are totally ways to keep the fire o' love burning for a very long while. The fine people at Men's Health and Women's Health have a few fabulous tips to make lust last in their Big Book of Sex. Here, we let you in on some of our favorites.
1. Rent a chick flick. Fun fact: Movies that are heavy on the romance raise levels of oxytocin, otherwise known as "the snuggle hormone." A good rom-com will set the mood for a cozy, love-filled evening. Oh, and research from Kansas University shows that men love a good, sappy film, as well—not just the ladies. So, by all means, pop in The Notebook! The 10 Best Romantic Comedy Duos Of All Time
2. Don't just say, "I love you." It's important to verbalize your feelings in other ways, too. A quick "Love you" as he's headed out the door, or even before you hang up the phone, makes the phrase become a bit insignificant. Instead, show him your affection by using other words. Terms of endearment like "Honey" or "Sweetie" have the same connotation of affection. Also, let him know how much his gestures mean to you: "Thanks so much for filling up my gas tank yesterday. I really appreciated it."
3. Change locations for making love. Mix it up. There is no designated area for getting it on, so why restrict yourself to the bedroom? Use the mirrors while getting hot and heavy in the bathroom, or even have a little outdoor sex—a whopping four out of five people surveyed said they've always wanted to try it. Um, what are y'all waiting for? Cowabunga! 10 Dangerously Bold Places To Have Sex Before You Die
4. Make out. Keep it simple and sweet, like you did when you were but a young teen. Restrict yourselves to ten minutes of kissing only—with clothes on. Then, feel free to act more adult-like after you've set the mood. A hot make-out session will lead to even hotter sex.
5. Schedule sex. We've all been trained that you have to "be in the mood" to turn up the heat. That's actually not true. Fooling around will get you in the mood, so feel free to set aside a place in your schedule just for you and your man. Everyone is busy, so it's essential to create time for your sex life. It will keep you both happy and fulfilled.
More Juicy Content From YourTango: