The Twitter-verse sounds off on rules men in relationships should follow.
When we noticed "#rulesformen" was trending on Twitter the other day, we couldn't stifle our inquisitive minds and decided to check out what relationship advice followed the hash tag, ridiculous as it often is. Maybe we were a touch skeptical at first that we'd find any solid wisdom, but we figured we would at least find some amusement. Twitter offers us that on a daily basis. A big thank you to the likes of Patti Stanger and Conan O'Brien. Twitter: The Top 10 Love And Relationship Tweets Of 2010
As we sifted through the oodles of tweets pouring through the computer monitor, it was impossible to deny it: Tweeters brought up some good points about relationships, dating and love that men—and even women in some cases—should totally take note of. Sorry for doubting you, Twitter-verse! (However, we did find some zany and absurd tweets too. Obviously!) Can A Twitter Romance Lead To Real-Life Love?
We decided to compile our favorite tweets in list form, and cleaned up in the grammar department, for you to enjoy too, just in case you don't have hours to search through a Twitter time line for the most awesome relationship tidbits. Apparently we do, but hey—that's what we're here for, friends.
Without further ado, we give you our list of the top ten rules for men according to Twitter:
1. "When you are in a relationship, don't act single." - Walter. This rule should be self-evident, but it does seem to befuddle quite a few people.
2. "Don't let the lady walk on the side where the cars are." - Malina. Chivalry can live on. Just do the little things, guys.
3. "Act your age. Be mature. She wants a man, not a little boy. (It's OK to be silly at times, but not ALL the time.) - Greg. Well said, Greg.
4. "Understand yourself and learn to differentiate love, lust, possessiveness, revenge and blind desire." - Headsink. Not every relationship emotion is true love—or even healthy. It's important to recognize that.
5. "Don't apologize unless you know why you're apologizing. Girls can tell the difference and it makes it worse." - Brooke. Men, if women suspect insincerity then the sorry doesn't really count.
6. "If you're lost, do not stop and ask for directions--no matter how many times your girl is telling you to." - ASuckerForAmor. What?! OK, obviously boys will be boys.
7. "Don't expect them to call you all the time. The phone works both ways." - Chaz. So at least some men do know this...
8. "Don't treat your girl any different if you are alone with her or with your buddies." - Angie. Again, it should be pretty obvious, but it isn't always. Make sure you're being treated well 24/7.
9. "Don't spend more than two years dating her if you don't plan on marrying her. Seriously, you're wasting her time." - Jasmin. Amen. On the flipside: Women, if you want to get married and he doesn't, move on.
10. "Don't text women one word messages." - Ernesto. Women, we know that when you type a man a detailed short-story of a text and he responds with an OK or LOL, you want to break your phone. A little effort goes a long way. We're glad Ernesto realizes this.