It's been quite a year for celebrity divorce. Here are the biggest divorce stories of 2010.
2010 was the year of the celebrity divorce. Some were shocking (hello Al and Tipper!) some we saw coming (Elin, finally!) and at least one was fake (Speidi, y'all are something else). But the main thing that stands out about celebrity divorce this year was that there was just so much of it that we felt we had to document it with a list. So with that, we present you the 10 biggest celebrity divorces of 2010.
10. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren. Tiger's cheating scandal was one of the biggest stories of 2009, but the fallout continued well into 2010. When the mistresses just kept coming and Tiger's sexts were published, the long-suffering Elin—who had previously tried to repair the marriage—finally had enough. The giant mess ended in August, when the couple's divorce was made final. Tiger Woods Divorce Details
9. Eva Longoria and Tony Parker. Taking a page from Tiger's playbook for dummies, Tony left a long trail of sexts back to Erin Barry, a former teammate's wife. Although Tony denied having a physical relationship with Erin, Eva filed for divorce. Taking the low road, Tony quickly counter-sued Eva and then sent a bunch of sexts to 19-year-old model Sophia Egeler.
8. Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman. In October, just a month shy of her fifth wedding anniversary, Christina filed for divorce from her husband and father of her two-year-old son, Max. Rumor has it that Xtina's roaming bi eye are what caused the split and, according to some reports, she's already hooking up with Lindsay Lohan's ex, Samantha Ronson. Christina Aguilera: 'Horny As A College Freshman'
7. Charlie Sheen and Brooke Mueller. After his violent Christmas Day 2009 attack on Brooke, Charlie managed to patch things up with the wife in early 2010, as the two both checked into rehab and seemed committed to mending their marriage. But when Brooke discovered that Charlie was having an affair, she moved out and Charlie continued his downward spiral. Everything came to a head in October, when a drunk, coked-out Charlie trashed his Plaza Hotel room, where he just happened to have a porn star hiding in the closet. Shortly afterward, Charlie officially filed for divorce.
6. Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes. Kate was yet another Best Actress winner to fall prey to the Oscar curse, as she and husband Sam Mendes separated in the spring, amid rumors that he was cheating on her. The lovely Kate bounced back a few months later, when she began dating hunky Burberry model Louis Dowler. Although word on the street was that Kate already had wedding #3 on the brain, the impossibly attractive couple recently called it quits. Kate Winslet Dumps Model Boyfriend
5. Speidi. In July, shortly after celebrating her one-year wedding anniversary to Spencer Pratt, Heidi Montag filed for divorce. Everyone assumed it was a publicity stunt, despite the couple's protests. Soon after, Spencer claimed to have a sex tape featuring Heidi and a Playboy playmate. When no one cared, Heidi called off the divorce in September, and the two finally admitted a month later that the "divorce" was all part of a plan to help further their careers and get them out of debt.
4. LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian. These two didn't divorce each other—instead they each divorced their spouses to be with one another. It's the kind of thing that happens in a movie, which is fitting, since the couple met while starring opposite each other in a film. At first they denied the romance, but later filed for divorce with their respective spouses within a week of each other.
3. Victoria Duffy and the Late, Great Dennis Hopper. Talk about a real downer: imagine you're terminally ill, months from dying of prostate cancer, teetering on a feeble 100-lb. frame and too weak to even carry on a conversation. That's probably the worst time to be divorcing your estranged fifth wife, right? But that was the reality for Dennis. The late Hollywood legend spent his last months coughing up child support and filing restraining orders and lawsuits against wife Vic Duffy. Not the way you would have imagined the Easy Rider kicking the bucket, though sadly that's how it went.
2. Sandra Bullock And Jesse James. Less than two weeks after Sandra nabbed the Best Actress Oscar for her role in The Blind Side, news broke that her seemingly devoted husband, Monster Garage's Jesse James, had an affair with tattoo model Michelle McGee. (That was quick, Oscar curse!) As the list of Jesse's mistresses grew (which, by some counts, topped out at 11), America's Sweetheart swiftly and quietly sought a divorce, which was officially granted in June. While Jesse immediately hooked up with Kat Von D, Sandra focused on raising her newly adopted son, Louis. Through her entire ordeal, the public rallied around Sandy, who remained the picture of class and grace under pressure.
1. Al and Tipper Gore. Despite studies showing that divorce is bad for the environment, the green politi-couple announced their separation this summer, shortly after their 40th anniversary. Even more shocking were accusations from a massage therapist that Big Al—described in her bizarre account as both a "big lummox" and "crazed sex poodle"—tried to force a happy ending out of her.
This year's other big unhappily-ever-afters include Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter (who play brother and sister on Showtime's Dexter); Scarlett Johansson and People's Sexiest Man Alive Ryan Reynolds; Jennifer Jason Leigh and filmmaker Noah Baumbach; director Cameron Crowe (Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Say Anything) and singer Nancy Wilson (from Heart); and Ben Harper and Laura Dern. Here's hoping the celebs have a better 2011.
Photo Credit: INF. With additional reporting by Emen William Garcia.