Love can be blind, so here are 7 questions to help you see if he's really husband material or not.
Relationships can be blinding. When you are truly in love, you want to overlook the other person's imperfections. However, it is vital that you don't ignore fatal flaws. If you two have been throwing around the topic of marriage more than just casually, there is a good chance you're blinders are up right now. And who would blame you? Definitely not us, but we think you owe it to yourself to ensure he's husband material. Trust us. It's much better to figure it out now rather than after you've walked down the aisle.
1. Does he manage his money well? Be honest with yourself. Does he always seem to be strapped for cash? Does he spend money on a flat screen when he's three months late on a car payment? If the answer is yes, is he willing to change his spending styles? 7 Signs He's Dating You For Your Money
2. What does he want and believe? If you can't answer this question then it's time to go back to the relationship drawing board. It is essential that your values align before you even consider marriage. It's great to have some differences, as those will keep things interesting. But still, your core beliefs about life and the direction you want yours to go should be similar. If you want kids, your man has to be on board. If your faith is important to you, he should value it, too. Major differences can translate to big problems down the road. Remember: people don't really change all that much. With men, what you see is what you'll get... five, ten years down the line.
3. How does he treat you in front of others? If you are almost totally forgotten when his boys enter the room or when you head out with him to a work party, then there's a problem. A guy who is husband material will find a way to balance his time and include you in the social aspects of his life. If not, then something is missing.
4. How does he act when you two are alone? Likewise, if he ignores you when you're both at home, there is also an issue (this might seem silly, but it really does happen). He should be glad you are there with him, not get frustrated when you infringe upon his TV time or ask a quick question while he's working. Be cognizant if he constantly seems irritated by your actions. YourTango Expert Dr. John Grohol advises you evaluate your energy level when with your significant other: "Check out your physical, mental and emotional energy... Is this person mostly strengthening you, or mostly depleting you?" 2 Types Of Marriage That Make Women Happiest
5. How does he handle arguments? Is he going to fight with you at all costs to get what he wants, or is he willing to compromise so you both win? A good future husband should voice his opinion, but also want to make you happy and understand your point of view. And if there is a big blow up, he should feel upset and want to fix things. That's the most important piece of the puzzle.
6. How does he treat his mother and sister? You've probably heard this a million times before, but it is as true today as it was a hundred years ago. The way he treats the women closest to him is the best indication of how you will be treated in the future. So make sure what he's extending to them is love and respect.
7. What sort of gifts does he give you? This question is not inserted here for shallow reasons; extravagance is not what you should be looking for. Thoughtfulness is. If his gift is impersonal, meaning he could have given it to a variety of other people in his life, then it shows he doesn't really know you. If for Christmas he gives you the same sweater he got his sister while you excitedly nabbed him concert tickets for his all-time favorite band, then perhaps it's time to ask yourself if you are both on the same page and in it for the right reasons. How To Give Him The Best Gift He'll Ever Receive
Relationships are by no means effortless, but they should feel easy. If you are constantly in a struggle over something, or he is lacking maturity in certan areas, all roads do not lead to a happy future marriage. If you're left with some lingering questions after taking our mini-quiz, it's important to first evaluate your own actions in the relationships. What you put in is what you'll get out, after all. If you treat him like Prince Charming and he doesn't return the princely manner, he may not be husband material. Think it through. You deserve the best. Kate Middleton & The Four Secrets To Marrying A Prince