... featuring advice by YourTango Experts Julianne Cantarella & Heidi Lee Munson!
Welcome to Online Dating Bootcamp: Day 4! Today is all about what you can do to create a great online dating profile and meet your perfect match, featuring advice from YourTango Experts Julianne Cantarella and Heidi Lee Munson. (Wanna brush up on Bootcamp Days 1-3? Start here.)
Is your online dating profile keeping you from meeting the man of your dreams? While it's simple to spot a bad profile from a mile a way, constructing a great one is easier said than done. Follow our experts' advice to create a profile that will yield the results you're looking for!
1. Show, don't tell. To successfully market yourself online, you must stand out from the rest. Rather than creating a list of adjectives that could describe anyone, let your profile show how unique you are by adding vivid personal anecdotes. —Julianne Cantarella
2. Accentuate the positive. Don't imply that there is anything wrong with you because you are trying online dating. Profiles that begin with, "I can’t believe I'm using this site, but here goes nothing …" get ignored. Why would you start a conversation by putting down everyone else in the room? Remember, the person you are trying to meet is online too, and he or she doesn't want to feel bad for looking for love online. —Heidi Lee Munson
3. Don't lie! ... about anything. After all, you don't want to start out on the wrong foot with your potential match, do you? If you are genuine and authentic, you will have a greater chance of attracting like-minded matches. Lying will only waste your time and his. —Julianne Cantarella
4. Ask the experts. Need a catchy screenname but can't figure out what captures your essence? Ask a few of your girlfriends over for wine, cheese ... and screen-naming! You'll be amazed at how complimentary your friends will be, not to mention the impressive pile of screenname choices you will end up with. —Heidi Lee Munson
5. Be positive. No one wants to date a Debbie Downer. Your online profile is not a place to dwell on your problems or list your negative attributes. Instead, show your warm, loving and nurturing sides. The more open and positive you seem, the more success you will have online. —Julianne Cantarella
- YourTango Experts Presents ... Online Dating Bootcamp!
- Is Online Dating Really Worthwhile?
- Which Online Dating Site Is Right For You?
More Juicy Content From YourTango:
- Dating Basics: How Do You Know When He Wants To Kiss You?
- 30 Bad Relationship Habits You *Desperately* Need To Lose By Age 30
- Should I Try Mobile Dating? Video