Maybe Natalie Portman was onto something.
Of course, most of us are not celebrities and do not have to deal with papparrazi stalking our every move or sharing our private wedding photos with the masses. But, in a time where we document everything from sharing photos of our every meal, outfit and tweeting our every thought, there is something to be said for keeping the biggest day of your life under wraps.
Here are three reasons why you should have a secret wedding:
1. No drama. Well, maybe less drama. Along with wedding planning comes a lot of opinions. Sometimes, we get so caught up in pleasing other people or wanting the day to be perfect for someone else that we forget what the day is all about in the first place. Having a secret wedding means that you are keeping the focus on the two of you. 3 Essential Tips For Traveling As A Couple
2. Less pressure. No matter how many people know about it or are in attendance, a wedding is a big deal. Add in friends and family that you have not seen in years, a budget that keeps expanding, the ever-present need to impress your guests and have a wedding worthy of Pinterest. Keeping all this in mind, you have a day that becomes bigger than you. With everything so accessible these days, it is easy to fall into a comparison trap. Having a secret wedding not only takes you out of the game, but also tells your guests that you simply never wanted to play it in the first place. Love Ryan Gosling? 3 Ways Your Man Can Be More Like Him
3. It's insanely romantic. Why? Because it's different. These days, brides are putting photos of themselves up on instagram the second they walk down the aisle. They blog the day after the ceremony and don't keep anything to themselves. It's all about sharing and oversharing. By refusing to share anything about your special day, you aren't being selfish. You are simply refusing to invite every stranger on the internet into the most sacred event of your life. By protecting your love so fiercely, you are honoring it. What could be more romantic than that? 5 Common Myths About Sex
More engagment advice from YourTango:
- How To End An Engagement
- 5 Weird And Notable Engagement Rings
- If Your Man Does These 9 Things, MARRY HIM (As Written By A Man)