Avoid these classic communication errors in your relationship.
No one gets into a serious relationship thinking it won't last. When you find someone you can trust and feel safe with, you naturally imagine growing old together. But all too often really good relationships that should last forever just fall apart. Why does that happen? It's often because of three common communication mistakes that, if not caught in time, will tear two people apart.
It's a fact that 93 percent of our communication is non-verbal, but you can't depend on non-verbal clues to keep love alive. Ask any woman if she can remember a time when her partner's words hurt her. She'll remember every word that was said and also every detail of where it happened and what she was wearing. Words have a huge impact on how good we feel in relationship. So what are the three mistakes that can kill love?
1. You stop telling the truth. Let's be real: Sometimes telling the truth is hard. We avoid it because we're afraid of the response we might get or we fear being judged. We might talk ourselves out of it and push it down, telling ourselves we don't have the time or energy to deal with it.
When you avoid confrontation by the "lie of omission," your resentment will build making you unhappy and putting a distance between you. If something is important you need to tell your partner the truth; even if your voice shakes and you're scared. More often than not the anticipation of his reaction will be worse than the experience itself. When you withhold a truth it’s like you have a "secret" you're keeping that can't help but create a sense of distance and separation between you.
2. You stop being kind. This is a slippery slope that people fall into when they're over the "honeymoon phase." It's rightfully said that "familiarity breeds contempt," meaning we hurt the ones closest to us because they're there! It's easy to forget that your lover who you now know so well is very vulnerable and sensitive to your reactions. Keep reading ...
More relationship advice from YourTango:
- Hard Work Ahead: Are Relationships Really Worthwhile?
- In A Long-Distance Relationship? Tips To Keep The Love Strong
- THIS Is The Kiss Of Death For Relationships