Olympic athletes are using the popular dating app to connect with fellow athletes in Sochi.
Even Olympic athletes can't seem to resist the allure of Tinder. That is what we found out as news spread that the popular dating app is being used widespread by many athletes in the Olympic Village during the current Sochi 2014 Olympics.
Can we blame them? Wouldn't you want to meet the many young, attractive and physically fit Olympians participating in this year's games? Tinder is free, easy-to-use and matches you with people based on geographic proximity. Hence, when athletes are using it in the Olympic village, they are being matched with other athletes since they are geographically close to each other.
We know that Tinder is being used by a healthy number of people who can't call themselves Olympic athletes, but what makes it so appealing to these Sochi Olympians?
- It's any easy way to break the ice. Even Olympic athletes have crushes and want to meet other athletes. New Zealand snowboarder Rebecca Torr demonstrated this by tweeting that she wanted to meet the Jamaican Bobsled team and was hoping to be paired with them on Tinder. This playful dating app is a low-cost and low-risk way for the athletes to connect with other athletes.
- It's fun. Simply put, using Tinder is a fun experience, especially when it allows you to interact with world-class athletes. The Olympians are there to showcase their talent and hopefully win a medal, yes, but they are also there to enjoy the experience and make unforgettable memories. Perhaps meeting people by using Tinder is part of the equation for some.
- They want to share the Sochi experience with others. Tinder allows the Olympians to meet people who are also experiencing the Olympic games as an Olympic athlete. This is an incredible experience and of course they would want to share it with other like-minded people.
Most of us will never know what it feels like to be an Olympic athlete living in the Olympic Village, but at least we can relate to them wanting to utilize a fun dating app. Meeting people is hard, even for Olympic athletes.
Dating apps like Tinder allow anyone with an iPhone or Android phone to meet people they may have never been able to otherwise. Thanks to modern technology no one, Olympic athlete or otherwise, has to feel alone. We want to wish our U.S. athletes luck in the games and in love!
More dating advice on YourTango:
- 8 Modern Dating Rules Every Single Should Know
- 7 Dating Websites You Won't Believe Exist
- 25 Date Night Ideas That Aren't Cheesy