Most people who have tried online dating can come up with a list of reasons not to do it again. But here's why you should: It only takes one person to change your life.
None of your reasons can compare to the feeling of having love in your life. The right partner makes every day happier, every experience more enjoyable and every moment more peaceful. If these are the reasons you're not online dating, it's time to get over them:
- "I don't want to have a public profile." If you are legitimately worried that having a public profile can be hurtful to you in some way, then you should opt for sites like EHarmony that don't allow users to browse profiles. Otherwise, there isn't any reason not to post a profile. Get over any embarrassment you have about being single. Be proud that you have been waiting to find the right person for you. Facebook Doesn't Ruin Relationships. People Do.
- "I'm too busy." We make time for that which is important to us. You can be efficient with your time online by using saved searches, ratings and favorites features. And if you're too busy to contact and meet all your online matches, follow your gut and meet only the ones in which you find yourself most interested.
- "I don't like dating more than one person at a time." Then don't. But keep in mind that the person you're dating might also be going on other dates and you'll want to be clear on that before getting too attached. For the first few weeks, however, take it slow and avoid the topic.
- "There's too much rejection." This can be a tough lesson to learn, but you can't take the rejection personally. Think of it this way: Not everyone likes pineapple. There's nothing wrong with pineapple, but not everyone likes it. And not everyone will be interested in you. Let it roll off and move on. Dating Advice: How To Handle The Fear Of Rejection
- "I've tried it already. It didn't work." So, try it again. Try rewriting your profile. Use different pictures. Try a different site. 5 Ways To 'Spring Clean' Your Online Dating Profile
- "I'd rather meet someone naturally." Yes, we all would. So go out and enjoy your life, but keep a profile online as well. Because it only takes one person to change your life!
@RebeccaAMarquis is the author of How to Be a Good Boyfriend: 34 ways to keep her from getting annoying, jealous, or crazy, and offers dating humor and advice on her new Facebook page: facebook.com/RebeccaAMarquis.
For More Great Online Dating Content: