I honestly believe that “the one” is largely determined by chemistry, some undefinable quality that you can’t ignore. As Einstein put it, “Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love.” I’m pretty sure what he meant, was you just can’t make sense of it. In the last week I’ve probably been asked 20 times, “How do I know if he’s the one?” I can’t answer for that mystery of Divine intervention, or the X factor of chemistry. However, below are ten things he has to be to be “the one”.
1. You never have to make excuses for him. This man shows up Mr. Wonderful all the time. You don’t ever find yourself saying, “He’s really stressed right now” or, “You just don’t know him the way I do. He really is a great guy.” He behaves like a civilized gentleman and everyone else sees him as just as remarkable as you do. Mr. Right has one personality - the one you see and the one everyone else sees too.
2. Mr. Right inspires you not just to be your best, but actually better then you thought you could be. This guy stretches you to learn more, think more, love more, and grow more. You never find yourself behaving in ways you don’t like or find yourself embarrassed by your own behavior as a result of your relationship.
3. You find yourself doing things for this man because you really love doing things for him. Everything you do is inspired by a desire to see him surprised, or happy, or make his day better. It’s never out of obligation, or duty, or keeping up.
4. Mr. Right appreciates the important people in your life the way you do. He sees them as a compliment to his life. They are never trouble, or a bother, or beneath him. He treats your loved ones with care and respect.
5. You trust him. He is where he says he is does what he says he’s going to do. Mr. Right doesn’t keep secrets. You never feel like you might need to check his cell phone or email. In your gut you have a very peaceful sense that this guy is honest, all the time, even when it’s inconvenient.
6. He owns up to your relationship. He claims it in public, shouts it from the mountain top and was thrilled to change his Facebook status. Mr. Right is both emotionally and physically available in your relationship.
7. He has taken his big boy pill. Mr. Right can be playful when he wants to be, but he’s a grown up through and through.
8. Your Mother or Mother equivalent will instinctively like Mr. Right. She’s not just saying she likes him, or biting or tongue not to say something else. She genuinely approves and it feels good to you.
9. You like the way he thinks. Mr. Right is interesting. You are interested in his opinions. You might even secretly wonder if he’s smarter then you, at least about some things. Mr. Right knows who he is and is quietly confident.
10. You honestly love him. It’s not that you think you might love him or think you should love him. You really honestly know you do because he’s Mr. Right.