We all have our own definition of happy. Have you ever considered that yours is making you unhappy?
When we picture certain events happening in our lives before we can be happy (promotion, marriage, new home), we look for those specific situations and set ourselves up to miss out on many experiences that may have lead us to happiness in a different way.
More from YourTango: How To Be A Good Girlfriend & (Girl Friend!)
- What if that thing that transforms our life for the better takes on a different appearance than we're looking for?
- What if we are supposed to experience something other than what we have our heart set on?
- What if we are missing the whole point of this life along with fabulous journeys we can't even imagine because we are so set in our vision and definition of happy that we have become blind?
- What if happy is something we become instead of something we find?
How Can Some People Be Destitute And Happy?
Some people are what we would consider destitute, poor and sick and still seem happy. It may be all they know. They are not waiting for something or someone to make them happy. Happiness is already inside them. They are grateful to be here and live each day.
No matter what their situation seems to us, they are likely happier than we are because happiness comes from within instead of from other people and situations. They are without things we think are necessities but are happy inside.
- Are these people ignorant to what life has to offer and uneducated? Maybe, in our not-so-humble opinion.
- Have they never imagined what it would be like to have a house and car and plenty of food on the table each night? Maybe.
- Are they still happier than many of us are because they don't live in a rat race and worry about what others think of them constantly? Probably.
- Do they have a spiritual center that keeps them strong and balanced no matter what the hardship? I believe they do.
Whether they know it or not and whether we acknowledge it or stay stuck in our pride, some people we think should be unhappy, based on our definition of happy, may have cornered the market on happy.
We may see them as unfortunate but are we the unfortunate ones? Are the people who can be happy no matter what they do or don't have the fortunate ones? Are the people who hold so tight to their definition of happy that they are miserable their entire lives possibly the unfortunate ones? Is this a bit of a perspective shift?
Happy is something we are not something we find. Happy is a decision, not a destination.
How Can Some People Be Financially Wealthy And Miserable?
More from YourTango: How To Be Happy With Yourself: 5 Must-Read Tips
Some people are so poor the only thing they have is money. They are missing quality relationships, love, sincere friendships, good health and spiritual connection and although they have what so many seek in order to be happy (money), these people are miserable. Many destroy their health in their quest for money and then spend all of their money in an attempt to regain their health, which is never truly successful. Keep Reading...
More Juicy Content From YourTango