The internet can be an effective place to find love. According to a recent Pew Research study, approximately 37% of single people have used some form of internet dating site, and approximately 17% of online daters have found long-term love online. With well over a million paying members and 20,000 new members joining each day, Match.com is the leading online dating site. And, overall, online dating sites are expected to earn 1.9 billion in revenue this year alone! 12 Common Online Dating Mistakes
So, what has the mental health community gleaned from this internet love boom? Here's what you need to know:
More from YourTango: Online Dating Advice for Men
1. Money matters. When looking for love online, women seek men with high-paying jobs. In turn, men are more likely than women to reveal financial information about than women are. 5 Secrets Of Happily Married Couples
2. Women are picky. When it comes to picking dates, women are more selective than men. Even later in life, when the male-to-female ratio favors men, women continue to be pickier than men. This phenomenon can be explained by the fact that women, on average, are more willing to wait to find a compatible partner, while men would rather find someone fast.
3. Men like women young and pretty. While women focus on finances, men opt for beauty and youth. These preferences can be explained by evolution: while gals seek security, guys look for reproductive compatibility. A man wants a woman with whom he can have healthy, attractive offspring. 3 Tips For Online Dating Beginners
4. Everyone seeks similarities. Online daters — both men and women — are more likely to date people within their own race. However, women have a higher preference for same-race mates than men do. Most dating site users also prefer to date within the same religion and political group. Smokers tend to prefer smokers; non-smokers seek out non-smokers; and those without kids are more likely to prefer otherchildless singles.
5. Grammar matters! Studies have shown that when it comes to online dating profiles and messages, grammar matters just as much as the content itself. Poor punctuation is a turn-off to both sexes. High Society Dating Tips: Grammar's A Deal Breaker
More from YourTango: Online Dating 3-Step Wink Management: Stop, Drop & Roll
6. Honesty counts. Accurate representation of self is more likely to lead to a second date. While it's okay to choose the option "I will tell you later," it's not okay to lie. A recent Newsweek article discussed how 20% of online dating users lie about their age. On average, women decrease their weight by 8.5 pounds.
When outright lies are contained in an online dating profile, it can lead to immediate discontinuation of the relationship. Don't waste anyone's time — just be honest.
7. Some sites are serious; others are soft. While some online dating sites are heavily populated with people seeking long term commitments, others are full of folks looking to hook up and move on. Serious sites like eHarmony focus heavily on personality characteristics and similarities. Do your homework before paying a penny and joining a dating site. Find out the statistics and read the reviews. 5 Tips On Handling Mutual Friends & Your Ex