Do you sometimes feel like Columbo or Nancy Drew as you investigate your loved one's activities that don't include you? Extreme jealousy is one of the most destructive things in a relationship. Engaging in jealous behaviors and suspicions is not cute. It does not let your significant other know you really care. And it definitely will not strengthen your relationship.
An occasional, mildly jealous episode might actually heighten the interest in your relationship but chronic, pathological jealousy is like a cancer that will destroy any loving feelings that exist in your relationship. With that in mind, here are five signs you are a jealous mess:
1. His phone habits upset you. Whenever your partner doesn't answer the telephone while in your presence, you wonder if it could be a lover.
2. His social media habits scare you. Whenever your partner has a new friend on Facebook, you go to the friend’s page to check out your competition.
3. You stalk him. You find yourself driving by your loved one's job, home or places you know him/her to frequent, thinking you'll find some incriminating evidence.
4. You're mistrustful of new people. Every time your loved one introduces you to someone new, you closely watch them for any sign of attraction and later grill your significant other about their relationship.
5. You snoop. Whenever you get the opportunity, you are checking your loved one's phone and/or email for signs he/she may be involved with someone else.
If this describes you, your relationship is in big trouble! It's time for some introspection and to make some changes. Is this the person you really want to be? Does your partner deserve your trust and respect? If so, then extend those courtesies. If not, and your partner has given you multiple reasons not to trust him/her, ask yourself why you are still in a relationship with a person you cannot trust? Keep reading ...
More relationship advice from YourTango: