When it comes to online dating, don't believe everything you hear.
Let's face it: Online dating is quickly becoming the most mainstream method for finding a significant other. However, even while online dating is gaining popularity, not everyone has jumped on the bandwagon, in part due to the myths associated with it. With that in mind, let's take a look at five myths about online dating that need be put to rest immediately:
1. Online dating is full of liars, manipulators and crazy people. While this myth has always been around, it has grown to epic proportions ever since the television show Catfish revealed the darker side of online dating. The truth of the matter is that people who lie about their identities are few and far between. For the most part, what you see online is what you get.
2. It's easier to meet single people online than in real life. Anything worth achieving in life requires hard work. Online dating sites provide the greatest opportunities in the world. We live in a time where we can literally attempt to meet someone any time of day or night from the comfort of our own home. No generation has ever had it better.
But that doesn't mean we can just sit back and wait for the magic to happen. Meeting the right person takes time, effort and the motivation to seek out the right matches. If you put in the effort, the results can be life-changing.
3. Online dating is an embarrassing way to meet someone. While this may have been an embarrassing thing to tell a friend or family member ten years ago, now just about every single person has tried online dating at one point or has at least thought about the prospect. No longer do we live in an age where we have to be ashamed of meeting someone online. It has become as natural as being set up by a friend or meeting someone at work, so be proud of finding that catch online! Keep reading ...
More online dating advice from YourTango:
- Online Dating: What You're Doing Wrong
- Online Dating? 6 Reasons To Make The First Move
- Online Dating: How To Weed Out Bad Matches