Caught ya! On a quick break at work perusing dating profiles? Which ones catch your eye? I know you’re just glancing at the pictures in the catalog, but don’t the Headlines make you want to Click?
Now imagine you’re the guy on the other end of the mouse - you know - the hot one you were just peeking at. You’ve only got a couple of seconds to make a lasting impression. Why waste those few seconds being boring?
More from YourTango: Top 7 Online Dating Sites For LGBT Singles
Think about this, dear friends - When you scan the profiles over your rare coffee break - which ones grab your 7 1/2 spare minutes?
Are you drawn into the unassuming but sort of cute,
“Warm & fun loving guy looking for romance ...”
Sure if you’ve got time to stop and daydream about romance. Really, isn’t that too much work?
So what if our nice guy made the daydream a little easier for you by teasing ...
“Hardy Boy seeks Nancy Drew for evenings filled with mystery & intrigue.”
Cool - now I’ve got a setting for a 2 minute fantasy, and I want to know more about him! This guy shows a playful and light personality that seems to match the mischievous grin in his profile pic. This guy makes me click.
Do you notice how this headline not only uses a little humor, but it targets a certain kind of lady. Maybe Mr. Hardy would like to meet an avid reader, or perhaps his dream girl is an adventurer with a passion for nostalgia. Either way, he was clever to craft towards a particular kind of girl with something interesting.
Face it. These days, we have to grab our moments - not mosey into them. Like it or not, every one's time is tighter. We want more excitement but we have less time to enjoy it. This isn’t a philosophical comment on societal morals - it is simply reality.
How about a little help? Can we make it easier for your Prince Charming to find you?
More from YourTango: Contest - Win A Copy Of Toad-Proof
I routinely scan the dating sites to help my clients find their own Prince Charmings, and I make a game of trying to find the best headlines. Want to play? I’ve selected 7 random samples - take a look ...
1. Just seeking a good heart: Friends, anything that starts with the word “just” seems to make excuses or minimizes your importance. Bad word - get rid of it.
2. Ready to fall in love: Great - with a random stranger or did you have someone specific in mind?
3. Still looking for the right one: Yup. You and everyone else on this site. Best of luck!
4. Easy going and simple: And ... I’m bored.
5. Recently Separated: No! This headline screams drama and trouble. Your multiple choice questionnaire is the only place this belongs - unless you simply don’t want to meet a nice man.
6. Go Blue!: YES! 1st runner up. College sports fan that gets straight to the point. What sports-loving hottie wouldn’t want a girl who looked good in his favorite Team’s colors?