This beloved stuffed bear may have all the love advice you'll ever need.
Yes, he's a children's cartoon. Yep, he's also an inanimate object. No, he's never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. And yet, considering he's a stuffed bear without any romantic relationships, I can't think of someone who offers better advice and lessons on love than good ol' Pooh Bear.
Here are just a few of the things he's taught me:
- The Little Things Matter: It is always nice to take someone special on an elaborate trip or buy them expensive things. While these big actions are great, it's the little ones someone will love you for. Maybe you leave them a note in the morning when you leave, or maybe you always remember when their family members' birthdays are. As Pooh says, "Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
- You Have To Go Find Love: Waiting for a phone call, waiting for someone to make the next move, waiting for love — why are you doing that? Love is proactive business, and that means you have to act, not just react. Show others you're willing to put in the time and effort to grow your relationship with them. Just listen to Pooh: "You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes."
- Don't Try To Analyze Love: Is this how it's supposed to be? Don't gauge your relationship by this question — love is different for everyone. You can't measure it, compare it or even spell it, as Pooh told Piglet, "You don't spell 'love;' you feel it." So there's no point in even attempting to figure out love. It's too complex for that. If you feel it, then that's all you need to know.
- It's Okay To Care: Often, especially in the beginning of a relationship, we find ourselves in competition over who can care less. You might put off responding to texts or act disinterested in making plans, even if it's someone you have feelings for. You don't have to do that. Showing you care — maybe even "too much" by today's standards — is important. Pooh's thoughts? "Some people care too much. I think it's called love."
- Count Your Lucky Stars: Don't take love for granted. You have found something so precious that people have been hunting for it since before there was a written word. Make sure your love knows you appreciate them, cherish them and maybe even find it hard to be away from them. Pooh says, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."
Sometimes you'll want to toss your hands up at love and say, "Bother!" Don't. Just think back to the wise words of Winnie the Pooh and know you'll find someone who, if you live to be 100, will want to live to be 100 minus one day so they never have to live without you.