Stars’ plus-ones have long been a source of questionable decision making at the awards show.
From barefoot acceptance speeches to P. Diddy, the Globes’ alcohol enthusiast, the Golden Globes Awards is no stranger to strangeness. Stars’ plus-ones have long been a source of questionable decision making at the awards show.
On Sunday, Jan. 11, celebs will hit the carpet with dates in tow. Here’s a look back at some of the most questionable pairs.
1. Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton (2002). Long before Angie got chummy with Pope Francis, she was better known for accessorizing with vials of blood. Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton were famous for packing on the red carpet PDA, although in 2002 they cleaned up with coordinating black satin. Never Forget.
2. Gwyneth Paltrow and Brad Pitt (1996). And long before Brad Pitt was Mr. Angelina Jolie, he had a host of interesting red carpet affairs. Pitt and then-girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow arrived at the Golden Globes in 1996 in matchy-matchy black and white outfits. We can’t decide which is a better 90s statement: 'Brad’s sunnies or that oversized collar.'
3. Nick Nolte and Vicki Lewis (1999). Those coordinating red carpet glasses—need we say more?
4. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon (1998). Ah, one of Hollywood’s longest running bromances. Matt Damon’ spikey, bleached hair and Ben Affleck’s wide black tie are what the ‘90s are made of.
5. Leonardo DiCaprio and his mom (1994). Leo is known for his laundry list of supermodel dates, but back in the day, he brought his mom to the awards show. We can’t get enough of that sideswept hair and textured vest.
6. Sharon Stone and her mom (2003). Sharon Stone and her mom arrived at the Globes, both dressed head-to-toe in black. The abundance of paradoxical apparel happening here is almost admirable.
7. Helena Bonham Carter and mom (2011). Helena Bonham Carter also brought her mom along. From Carter’s mismatching shoes to her mom’s full-body dress texture, it’s not hard to see where the offbeat actress got her fashion sense.
8. Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton (2013). Helena strikes again! These recent exes were the face of eccentricity in Hollywood. This date was just one of many curious—yet somehow complementary—outings the couple went on.
9. Paz de la Huerta and date (2011). To be fair, this was a post-Globes photo, but it is memorable nonetheless. This questionable picture was captured only moments before her dress gave way to a full-on nip slip.
So which Golden Globe plus-one do you think is the most questionable?