How to end a relationship in ways that honor the love and trust you once shared with your lover
Think about how your last relationship ended. Was it a mutual decision or did things end on bad terms? Do you know how to end a relationship in a way that you will honor the love you and your partner once felt for each other. Stray away from the break up norms. If you are planning on breaking up with your partner, avoid these seven scenarios and instead choose an alternative method that will pay tribute to the happy moments in your relationship.
1. Become invisible. Vanish without giving any reason. Do not return phone calls or emails. Leave your ex wondering if you died or lost your mind. Keep them wondering if you will ever reappear in their lives.
Alternative solution: Offer closure by giving a general reason for leaving. No blame. Simply say you no longer see a future together. If pushed for your reasoning, remember that your parting words echo long after you are gone. What can you say to make your ex feel better for having known and loved you? Single Over 50? Why You Should Try Online Dating
2. Announce your decision to break up via text message or email. Do this only if you want to be remembered as a coward. Not ending your relationship face-to-face will deface the good times you both shared together.
Alternative solution: Muster up your courage to end a relationship face-to-face. It takes courage to love and trust, and courage to part in a way that dignifies the feelings you once had.
3. Use honesty as an excuse to hurt your partner. Criticize flaws, list reasons why you are turned off, say that your relationship was a mistake and a waste of your time and make your ex feel undesirable before you move on.
Alternative solution: Share a few reasons why your time together was important and meaningful for you. Mention that you are disappointed you do not see a long-term future together. Now that you have made this decision, you want to act with integrity. Give your ex the opportunity to find the relationship that supports their well-being and greatest happiness. 10 Signs You're A Bad Date
4. Break up in a public setting. If you assume that your ex is less likely to make a scene in front of witnesses, the opposite might occur. If they do lose control, let them humiliate themselves in public and justify your reasons for walking out.
Alternative solution: Choose a calm moment in a cozy private place to explain your desire to end the relationship. Be understanding of an emotional reaction and apologize for the pain your decision has caused. Unless you fear physical harm, leave when your ex has calmed down.
More Break Up Advice From YourTango:
- The 4 *Biggest* Signs You're Probably Going To Break-Up (Sorry.)
- 5 Breakup Myths That Are Total BS
- The 10 REAL Reasons Men Dump You (Listen Up, Ladies!)