Are you responsible for ruining your relationship?
If the relationship survives past the first couple years, after the endorphins have subsided, they will have to deal with the 12-to-20 season: the time between years 12 and 20 when couples typically work out the last major kinks and differences. If they are unable to reach this point, years 12-20 will typically result in divorce.
Here are five signs you might be the reason why your marriage has not worked out its kinks:
1. You can't handle the in-laws. Research shows that how spouses relate to the inlaws is a strong predictor of marriage longevity. A man who gets along with his wife's parents is wise — his chances of a strong marriage increase by about 20 percent. Women who get along with their in-laws actually have an increased probability of divorce, by about 20 percent.
If you are the husband who does not invest in knowing or liking the in-laws, or if you are a wife who can't say no to the mom-in-law's constant, last-minute demands, you are probably driving your spouse to divorce.
2. You are always the victim. You never do anything wrong, and your spouse is always doing things on purpose, obviously. He/she is completely insensitive, never takes you into consideration and probably even forgets you exist. In return, you never ask for anything, you allow your spouse to over-indulge and underestimate.
Perhaps your spouse has even been unfaithful but you will forgive every single time. If you truly cannot see any of your own faults or imperfections and blame the other person for all that goes wrong, you are probably driving your spouse to divorce. Continue reading ...
More divorce advice from YourTango:
- Is Divorce Becoming a Luxury?
- 9 Love Lessons I Learned From My Divorce
- How Do I Know I'm Ready To Start Dating After A Divorce?