Once again, February 14th is right around the corner. And this year, for whatever reason, you don't have a Valentine to call your own. You may be single or separated, divorced or widowed. Unfortunately, so many of us who find ourselves in this situation fall into feelings of deep inadequacy and despair. We tell ourselves: "I'm not good enough; something's wrong with me; I'll never find someone." The reasons why we're "alone" don't matter. What matters is learning how to address these feelings so that you embrace Valentine's Day 2012, feeling the fullness of love rather than the black hole of emptiness and lack. 3 Ways To Love Yourself First This Valentine's Day
Here are 6 proven ways for you to be your own best Valentine this year:
More from YourTango: Be Your Own Personal Development Coach With Three Simple Words
1. Avoid the black hole! You may be tempted to judge or blame yourself because you are alone. Don't do it! Say to yourself, as often as necessary, what your deepest wisdom knows to be true: "I am lovable and connected to everyone, forever." You don't have to believe it for this to work! Cherish the daily miracles that might easily be missed—the smile of a stranger, the movement of a child, a lovely connection with a service person.
2. Buy yourself the most beautiful Valentine's Day Card several days before the "big day." Then spend some time writing a heartfelt note to yourself and literally mail it to your own address. When the card arrives in your mailbox, enjoy opening it and reading it on Valentine's Day. Inhale your message, feeling its beauty in your heart. Then let that radiate to your whole body.
3. Before Valentine's Day, ask yourself: "How do I really want to spend Valentine's Day and evening?" Do you want to gather with friends? If so, here's a wonderful exercise: Pair up, either standing or sitting, with one person at a time. Face each other silently, looking into each other's eyes for a few minutes. Feel your connection. Repeat this with each person that has gathered together with you. 7 Perfect Valentine's Day Ideas For Singles
More from YourTango: Dear Dad: An Open Letter to Dads on Father's Day
Or...do you want to be with yourself? Then call someone you love, or who loves you, or who you know needs love and celebrate loving. Want to treat yourself to something special? Treat yourself to a massage: feel the nurturing touch and enjoy.
4. On the actual day, buy yourself some ‘I Love You candies’ or long stem American beauty red roses. Silently say to all parts of yourself—especially to the young and vulnerable parts—"You are loved!"
5. Wish other people you know Happy Valentine's Day. It should be everyone and anyone: the cashier at the supermarket, the baby-sitter, your car mechanic, the doorman, the postman or post-woman. You're not wishing them for what you'll receive but enjoy all the "Happy Valentine's Day wishes"you receive back from them.