Dating after a divorce can be scary; read how to gain confidence and get back out there.
When's the last time you heard someone say, "I feel stuck!"? It probably wasn't that long ago. In fact, you might have even heard yourself uttering or muttering those words. When I went through my divorce and the process of rediscovering myself, I felt stuck. It was all I could think about.
Everything in my life was changing, but I felt like I wasn't moving. I had repetitive thoughts that got in my way of healing. I had beliefs about being less worthwhile than others, and those beliefs often kept me from having, doing and being what I wanted. In short, my divorce derailed the life I was living, and I felt overwhelmed by all the changes around me.
What I understand now that I didn't know back then is that all of my feelings of "stuckness" were just my personal dragons. I needed to slay them before I could fully engage in my life again. So, to be clear about what it feels like to be stuck, these are some common feelings my clients describe when discussing the issue:
- Being stressed out.
- Feeling misaligned with what's going on in your world or life.
- Experiencing strong unpleasant emotions.
- Needing to get more knowledge about something, but not sure what, or how to do it.
- Repetitively trying things that just don’t work.
- Not feeling able or willing to take the actions needed for growth.
Maybe these descriptions seem familiar to you. Maybe you've seen your own fire-breathing dragons, and are tired of being at their mercy. If that's you, I'll bet you're wondering how to slay those dragons. And that, dear reader, is exactly the question I hoped you would ask. Keep Reading...
More dating advice from YourTango:
- Dating After Divorce: How To Get Back Out There [EXPERT]
- 17 Essential Rules For Dating After Divorce
- Divorce: Expert Advice & Survival Tips