Wrinkle Be Gone!
As a person ages their skin begins to show their age. The body loses collagen which helps the skin bounce back into place after muscles are moved. Over time this collagen is worn away and the body is not able to replace it as quickly as it used to. This is when lines and wrinkles form. There are ways that you can take back control from wrinkles and lines. There are many surgical and nonsurgical procedures to make skin smooth again.
These procedures can be performed in the office of a doctor and do not require surgery. They will make the skin look smoother and firmer and the results are almost instant.
- Laser Resurfacing — Lasers work well for reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles as well as age spots and uneven skin tone. With modern technology these lasers are safe, have little to no side effects, and there is no down time. A person can have a laser treatment and resume their daily activities right after. A special laser beam is used to remove the outer layer of the skin allowing new skin to show. The lasers also stimulate the production of collagen in the body.
- Chemical Peels — Chemical peels use specific chemicals to remove several types of wrinkles. Chemical peels can also use an acid solution to remove the outermost layer of skin. Once this skin is removed a person will be left with new and smooth skin. The new skin is very sensitive and a person has to take precautions especially when going out into the sun. There are three different levels of chemical peels. There are light, medium, and deep peels. The type of peel that will be used will be determined by sensitivity, recovery time, and depth of the wrinkles. The stronger the peel that is used the stronger the chemicals are going to be. Some peels are not recommended for certain skin types. A person with a darker complexion should not have deep chemical peels as it can lead to an uneven skin tone. People that burn very easily may not be the best candidate for chemical peels.
- Dermabrasion — This technique removes the top layer of the skin with small tools. The doctor will go over the areas of the face and use these special tools to remove the top layer of skin. A person is then left with fresh and new skin. This procedure can be painful and does require some time to recover.
- Injections — Restylane and Botox are both fillers that are injected into the wrinkle. These fillers will add volume to the area of the face that is being treated. These treatments can be used for deep wrinkles and will give the skin a firmer appearance. These are only temporary solutions and you will need to have additional injections in a couple of months after the first treatment.
These procedures require a surgeon to remove the wrinkles and make the skin smooth again. While the results do last much longer than non-surgical options there are more risks associated with this type of procedure.
- Face Lift —A face lift is recommended for people with deep wrinkles. Face lift procedure requires a person to be under the influence of anesthesia. The doctor then makes several small incisions around the hairline. The skin and the muscles in the face are then lifted up. Once the surgeon has the skin lifted, they remove and discard the extra dull skin. After surgery, a person will not see immediate results. It may take the face several weeks in order to fully heal. Once they see the results they will notice that their skin is smooth and wrinkle free. A face lift that is done properly can take 10 to 20 years off a person's appearance. This surgery is much more expensive than other procedures, but the results will last much longer.
Nonsurgical and surgical treatment to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines do have some side effects. A person should speak to their doctor about how deep their wrinkles are, their medical history, and amount of time they have to recover. All of these procedures can help a person look and feel years younger than what they actually are. These options will help a person enjoy their smooth and radiant skin once again.