One of the most effective ways to initiate communication and let a guy know you are interested is by flirting with him. Flirting demonstrates your confidence and lets the guy see your intriguing, feminine side. However, flirting can backfire or take you in an unintended direction if not done correctly. The following are seven flirting mistakes you should avoid: How To Flirt Like A Pro [VIDEO]
1. Playing games. Playing mind games or playing "hard to get" are never good. It may work here and there, but guys with any level of self-respect will not keep chasing a girl who plays games. If you are interested in a guy, show him you are interested or he will move on.
More from YourTango: Don't Judge A Guy By His Looks
2. Being disrespectful. Sarcasm and humor can be effective tools when flirting. Humor keeps the discussion relaxed and sarcasm can show him your fiesty side. However, you want to be careful not to be mean-spirited. You don't want to offend him or embarrass him in front of other people. Teasing a guy about something he says or does is different than challenging his manhood.
3. Being whiny. Asking for help may be a means of flirting for you. Men often like feeling helpful and being the hero. Additionally, the man you are interested in may be eager to show you how strong he is. However, you do not want to be seen as whiny.
Do not ask for help in conjunction with complaining about your family, friends, job or landlord. Likewise, don't stalk him, constantly needing his help and advice.
4. Being too clingy. Guys do not like women who are too clingy or women who get possessive quickly. There is a difference between touching a guy's arm while talking, and hanging on his arm while he tries to talk to his friends. If you just met him, do not get jealous or clingy if he starts talking to another female. He will think you are a psycho.
More from YourTango: 3 Men You Should Avoid
5. Coming on too strong. You want to be mindful of what you say and how strong you come on to a guy. Coming onto a guy too strong may lead him to think you are only looking for a hook up. Likewise, making a lot of sexual jokes may also lead him to think you are only looking to hook up, as well. This tip, of course, does not apply if you are, in fact, only looking for a hook-up. Which Flirting Style Is Best For You?
More flirting advice from YourTango: