He texts you without fail, but he never asks you out on a date. So what's the deal?
Texting has become a popular way to communicate among singles. People like it because it's a quick means of communicating details, and men usually prefer texting because it's easy to stay in touch without much effort. Texting is also a fun way to banter without picking up the phone. That's the upside.
The downside is when women mistake a man's frequent texting for real interest in them. So many of my dating coaching clients end up in these lengthy, enjoyable texting "relationships," thinking they are building a real connection with a man. Sadly, that is usually not the case.
The Four Types Of Texters To Beware
1. The Womanizing Texter. He's not ready to be exclusive, but seeks female attention. For this guy, texting is the perfect way to keep you—a woman—at arm's length. In this case, texting is his low commitment way to stay in touch. In fact, a man can actually be texting several women on a regular basis. It helps him feel more desirable and like a hot commodity. Texting provides a great ego boost as the arrival tone alerts everyone in hearing distance of his popularity.
2. The Cheating Texter. He seems to be romantically interested in you ... even though he's in a relationship. Many experts refer to such relationships as emotional cheating: when a man who has a wife or live-in girlfriend creates an emotionally close bond with another woman via texting. This way, he isn't physically cheating, just flirting with other women. Obviously, you wouldn't want your man engaging other women this way.
3. The Needy Texter. This guy might text you all day. He wants your attention and needs your help. He'll either appeal to your nurturing side or just text little things all day to stay in touch. At first it might be fun, but it can wear you down and become pretty darn annoying, especially when you'd prefer a face-to-face date. Keep reading...
More dating tips from YourTango:
- 8 Modern Dating Rules Every Single Should Know
- 25 Date Night Ideas That Aren't Cheesy
- 5 Dating Tips For Finding The One