Don't take flirting too far!
The Wall Street Journal recently published an article about flirting which discussed the ups and downs of this feminine art. The piece says experts consider flirting to have sexual or romantic implications with that goal in mind. I whole heartedly disagree!
Flirting is often just fun, playful interactions that are completely meaningless. At times, the only agenda is to simply enjoy your feminine charm and make a man's day. It's a great method for a single women to meet lots of people, get dates and find love.
If you're single and enjoy flirting, but worry about being misunderstood, I'd like to share nine simple guidelines that will make it clear for you and keep you out of trouble.
1. Let him know you're approachable. The purpose of flirting for the single woman is to let single men know you are available and open to their approach. You can signal them with body language which includes brief eye contact, smiling, playing with your hair and jewelry, tilting your head, touching your neck, smoothing your clothing, crossing your legs, among others.
When a man sees this behavior, he subconsciously understands you are probably safe to strike up a conversation with. Men watch for these signals because they prefer to avoid rejection and mean-spiritied women.
2. Flirty conversation is lighthearted. Verbal flirting comes into play once the conversation gets started. Light banter, silly comments, compliments and even asking a man for assistance all count as flirtatious dialogue. So far, you are in safe territory and have no worries about offending anyone or giving someone the wrong impression.
3. Flirting has advantages. Flirting can help you get a good table at a restaurant, meet new people, wiggle out of a traffic ticket if you're lucky, get help carrying a heavy package, plus many other benefits. And let's face it, flirting is fun! It's an ego boost for you and your partner, adds excitement to your interactions, and can keep a relationship healthy.
Sometimes you want to get a specific man's attention. Flirting may or may not work in this situation. But, what does work is realizing other men are noticing you too. So when you are friendly to one man, other's can see you are open and friendly!
More flirting advice from YourTango:
- 5 Must-Know Flirting Techniques That NO Man Can Resist
- 7 Flirting Mistakes Women Make
- Which Flirting Style Is Best For You?