ProConnect

Why Doesn’t He Look At Me When I Am Talking To Him?

By

Why Doesn’t He Look At Me When I Am Talking To Him?
From birth to death and all occasions in between, the eyes have it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “The eyes of men converse as much their tongues.” We all know this to be true. A doctor with excellent bedside manner once told me that when he enters a treatment room, he immediately looks his patient in the eye. “This helps me understand my patient’s level of stress,” he explained.

From birth to death and all occasions in between, the eyes have it. While women and men differ in their eye behavior and what that behavior means, eye contact is the strongest form of nonverbal communication. A study headed by Stephen Janik and Rodney Wellens at the University of Miami in Florida found that 43.4 percent of the attention we focus on someone is devoted to their eyes, with the mouth running a poor second at 12.6 percent. (The mouth and the eyes together account for 56 percent of our attention.)

More from YourTango: Why Touch Matters in Relationships

We attend to others' eyes because these organs are highly expressive of emotions. Why would we want to look into another's eyes if not to assess what that person is feeling? Think about the sentiments conveyed when a loved one’s eyes are dulled and flat, when they're sparkling with joy, when they’re softened by passion, when they’re filled with fear or surprise, or when they’re brimming with tears. How about the images or songs that accompany the following descriptions: shifty eyes, laughing eyes, wild eyes, lying eyes, and Bette Davis eyes. Here are just a few of the wide range of human emotions that the eyes convey:

1.  Downward glance: Modesty in a woman or remorse for bad behavior in a child

2.  Wide eyes: wonder, naiveté, or terror

3.  Raised upper lids: displeasure

4.  Rolled up: fatigue, impatience, or a signal that something is weird

5.  Eye flash: Eyelids widened for less than a second to emphasize a word (usually an adjective) and also in quick greetings or silent communication between intimates. (At the end of a social evening, a couple may signal “let’s go” by this gesture alone.)

6.  Bedroom Eyes: a woman’s soft, drooping lids promise seduction

7.  Sidelong Glance: can indicate deference, desire, or deceit.

More from YourTango: At First Blush...

Sometimes an eye expression can have several meanings. Excessive blinking and fluttering, for instance, may signal anxiety, hesitancy, lack of confidence, and/or shyness. Because blinks increase as anxiety levels rise, experts have studied presidential candidates’ blinking rates to determine who prevailed in televised debates.

Some researchers have concluded that blinking even varies with sobriety. Small doses of alcohol increase the number of blinks temporarily while large doses slow the blinking to a dead stop. Too much blinking can even betray deceit, though there are probably easier ways than counting her husband’s blinks for a wife to discover whether he has been philandering.

Share this with someone you love (or even like a lot)!

Let's make it
FB official
Recent Expert Posts
Girl Decorates Easter Eggs

Are You Addicted To Comfort?

Don't be afraid to push the envelope—you'll achieve greater happiness.

Woman Weighing Herself

How to Lose Weight Without Dieting

10 Steps to integrating mindful eating- find peace, calmness and sanity around food and in your body

Cuffs

The Ties that Bind

The NEW D/s dynamic and its power to conquer your fears.

Ask The Experts

Have a dating or relationship question?
Visit Ask YourTango and let our experts and community answer.

Resources
How to find the right pro for you
10 Reasons Mental Health Pros Should Join YourTango Experts

10 Reasons Mental Health Pros Should Join YourTango Experts

YourTango Experts can help your business go from good to great.

10 Steps To Improve Your Coaching Business

Take your coaching business from mediocre to great in no time…

Frequently Asked Questions About YourTango Experts

Thinking of joining? Here's all the facts you need to know to make the most of your membership.

Getting Your Guy To Join You In A Therapy Or Coaching Session

So how can your get your strong, self-reliant, superman to talk to an Expert with you?

Therapist/Counselors: Who We Are & What We Do

What exactly does a therapist/counselor do and can they really help?

See more resources>
HOT STUFF!
FROM OUR PARTNERS