Whether you're using the internet to find love or to find new activities and buddies to do them with, it's of chief importance that your profile sings the virtues of the real, uninhibited you. Throughout the course of the 31-Day Love Life Makeover, YourTango Experts have offered tips on how to set new goals for your relationship, how to get over an ex, the best way to communicate, how to behave on a date and how to present your sexiest self. YourTango Experts' final set of advice is all about presenting your best self online. Here's how it's done.
1. Make your profile about you. Many people make the mistake of creating a generic profile that they think sounds and looks good. But generic isn't what most people are looking for in a mate or a friend. Have the courage to be your unique self publicly. That means you list a few descriptors of what you are good at, what you love, and even where you are weak. For instance, I'm a terrible speller. At times, I’m addicted to caffeine. I have been known to eat M&Ms at 10 a.m. I have also been known to stay up til 3 am to finish a novel. Those few sentences told you a lot about me. Think about what makes you uniquely you and let it shine.
More from YourTango: No Razor Necessary: 7 Reasons To Date A Guy With A Beard
2. Avoid these common profile photo mistakes...
* They use stock images and think no one will realize the photos aren’t really of them.
* They post a photo of their dog or kid instead of a photo of themselves.
* They post a photo taken from a distance or with their head turned, so people can’t really see what they look like.
More from YourTango: Don't Get Hung Up On Height! 7 Reasons To Date A Short Guy
All of those cause people to wonder, "Why doesn’t he/she want me to know what he/she looks like?" I also think its a mistake to pose in what might seem like a creative way. Don't stick out your tongue. Don't contort your face. Don't intentionally look mean or menacing. Just smile. 6 Tips For A Perfect Online Dating Profile
—Alisa Bowman, Relationship Coach