Will the cast and crew dance their way to the stage tonight?
Fun fact about me: I LOVE MUSICAL THEATER!
So I truly cant express how happy I am that La La Land is not only nominated for Best Picture at The 89th Annual Academy Awards (or Oscars for us lay people) but that it was considered one of the best films of 2016.
Seriously, folks, we need more movie musicals. Stop pretending you hate them. You know you tap your feet and hum while you watch. I’ve seen you. OK, I haven’t actually seen you and this has gone totally creepy.
But what I mean is: BRING BACK THE ERA OF MOVIE MUSICALS! Please and thank you.
According to the film's site, La La Land was written and directed by Academy Award nominee Damien Chazelle, and tells the story of aspiring actress Mia [played by Emma Stone] and a dedicated jazz musician Sebastian [played by Ryan Gosling], who are struggling to make ends meet in a city known for crushing hopes and breaking hearts. Set in modern-day Los Angeles, this original musical about everyday life explores the joy and pain of pursuing your dreams.
You can watch the full trailer for La La Land here:
Just watching the clip makes me want to get up and dance! And sing! And fall in love all over again (sorry, hubby)!
Here are the answers to some of your most pressing La La Land questions along with the most interesting facts and fun trivia about the Oscar nominated movie that to share with your friends as you watch!
1. Did you notice a certain someone in the trailer?
2. Did Ryan Gosling play the piano in the movie?
According to an interview with Ryan Gosling, he actually learned how to play the piano for the film. Even John Legend was impressed, saying, "I was jealous, man … Watching him play, I was like, 'Wow, this guy is really good and he just learned this in the last few months.' It's pretty amazing."
Here's the interview with Ryan Gosling about his time in La La Land:
3. The film almost had an entirely different cast.
It's said that Miles Teller was holding out for more money but that his window of opportunity closed before a deal could be struck. But hey, everything happens for a reason, right?
4. This is actually the THIRD movie starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling together.
5. La La Land is nominated for 14 Oscars!
That's no small feat. It currently ties the record for most nominations with All About Eve (1950) and Titanic (1997).
La La Land is nominated for:
- Best Picture
- Actor in a Leading Role (Ryan Gosling)
- Actress in a Leading Role (Emma Stone)
- Directing (Damien Chazelle)
- Writing (Original Screenplay)
- Music, Original Score (Justin Hurwitz)
- Music, Original Song for “Can't Stop The Feeling” (Music by Justin Hurwitz; lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul:) as well as “The Empty Chair" (Music by Justin Hurwitz; lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul)
- Cinematography (Linus Sandgren)
- Costume Design (Mary Zophres)
- Film Editing (Tom Cross)
- Production Design (Production Design: David Wasco; Set Decoration: Sandy Reynolds-Wasco)
- Sound Editing (Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan)
- Sound Mixing (Andy Nelson, Ai-Ling Lee and Steve A. Morrow)
Good luck to the cast and crew of La La Land!