Don’t blame us if you wake up next to a He-Who-Shall-Not-Be Named in the morning…
Summer can be a rough time for adult wizards. All those annoying kids are home from Hogwarts. Your Muggle neighbors won’t stop setting off fireworks. It’s way too hot to wear your favorite invisibility cloak. Why is it so hard for grown-up wizards to find happiness? It really can be a miserable time to be magical… unless you know how to make alcoholic butterbeer jello shots.
That’s right, Harry Potter fans. Booze-filled butterbeer jello shots.
If Snape had only taught his students how to make these in Potions class, everyone would've been a lot happier and maybe he wouldn’t have come across like such an emo jerk.
I love the idea behind these shots. If you’ve ever been to any of the Harry Potter theme parks, you already know that, in real life, butterbeer is DELICIOUS. But you can tell that the grown-up Potter fans are always a little disappointed that the drink isn’t more… adult-friendly. I mean, it’s called butterBEER!
Are you honestly telling me that Hagrid and McGonagall went to the Three Broomsticks after a long day of babysitting wannabe wizard kids and unwound with a cream soda? No way. If you had to pretend to listen to Draco Malfoy and Luna Lovegood all day, once you clocked out, you’d go find some like-minded magical pals and go get your wizard drink on.
And THIS is how you do it.
You just need one cup of crème soda, two envelopes of plain gelatin, 1/3 cup vanilla vodka (yum), 2/3 cup of butterscotch schnapps (yum), some colored crystal sugar (for a garnish), and wooden coffee stirrers for the sticks.
Here’s what you do:
- Pour the soda into a medium saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow it to soak for a minute or two. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin is dissolved (about five minutes). Remove from heat.
- Next, the important part, stir in in the vodka and schnapps. Pour your concoction into a standard loaf pan (non-reactive metal or glass, preferably).
- Refrigerate until the shots are fully set (about three hours).
- Once they’re ready, cut them into whatever shape you want. Squares, stars, the Dark Mark — whatever feels right for you. (No judging.) And, when you’re done, you can dip them into the colored sugar, if you want,
- To serve, cut into desired shapes.
- Immediately before serving, dip in colored crystal sugar, for garnish, if you want to make them look more magical.
That’s IT! Now you have enchanted, delicious, alcohol-soaked butterbeer pops that are perfect for grown-up Potter fans.
And those aren’t even the ONLY Harry Potter-themed jello shots that the Jelly Shot Test Kitchen makes! They also have beyond-yummy-sounding recipes for chocolate frog jelly shots AND polyjuice potion jelly shots (in alcoholic and non-alcoholic varieties).
Plus there is SO much Harry Potter stuff to celebrate this summer with your new drunken wizard treats!
J.K. Rowling just announced all the details of the North American wizarding school Ilvermorny (you can see what house you’re sorted into HERE). The official eighth chapter of the saga, the stage play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, just opened on London’s West End, and the official script book comes out on July 31st.
AND July 31st is also Harry Potter’s 36TH BIRTHDAY! So doesn’t he DESERVE a drink a little stronger than pumpkin juice?!
Trust me, even if you prefer The Hunger Games to Harry Potter (sacrilege!), you HAVE to try these butterbeer jelly shots. They will remind you that that wizardry isn’t just for punk 11-year-olds with messiah complexes AND that any excuse to eat vodka and schnapps covered in sugar is pretty damn magical.