And why you should befriend one immediately.
Move over housewives. In our reality, drama is kept at a minimum and friendships are, well, friendly. Let’s hear it for the women who not only support, but lead, inspire and respect one another!
1. They're unconditionally happy for the women in their life. Whether it’s a dream job, a ring from a gorgeous guy, a fab fit body she literally worked her ass off for or a killer personality, their joy is her joy. These women don't understand the "hating" mentality as they know there is plenty to go around, and when good fortune pays a visit and hard work pays off, they're the first one to raise a glass.
2. They're really there for their girlfriends. Not just when it's convenient. Not just when they're happy. Not just when cocktails are involved. Not just when they're single. These women set aside time to listen, support and celebrate the women in their lives. From birthdays to breakups, they show up both literally and figuratively.
3. They despise mean girls. Catty comments? They lost their luster in middle school. They want the women around them to look and feel great. They have no interest in putting other women down in order to lift themselves up, and if someone needs a little boost, they are the first ones to offer.
4. They don’t see other women as competition. When they're with their gorgeous girlfriend or their charismatic colleague, they recognize all of the amazing things about her and love that she does the same for them. They know every woman brings something incredible to the table, and when fantastic women come together, they're unstoppable.
5. They applaud strong, confident and smart women. They love to see a woman who is comfortable in her skin, owns her space and takes the time to formulate an educated opinion. When she shares it eloquently and respectfully, well, swoon. #GirlCrush
6. Their love relationship doesn’t dictate your time together. Yes, it’s fun to be in love but it’s also fun to laugh with their girlfriends and keep current on all events. Making time for their friends doesn’t feel like a chore because they know there are plenty of loves in their life that should be appreciated and nurtured.
7. They make an effort to help younger women. Instead of being threatened by their youth, fresh ideas or surplus of ambition, they feel grateful to be in a position where they can share your experiences and mistakes to help younger women achieve their dreams and goals with a few less bruises.
8. They don’t walk around with a gavel. They know the difference between solid advice and mislabeled judgement. Whether a woman decides to stay at home with her children or remain childless in a corner office, they support the broadstroke of feminism which means that choice - from clothing and partners to lifestyle, political stance and diet - is a deeply personal one. They also realize their opinion on another woman’s decision to wear six-inch heels or not breastfeed is really irrelevant and sharing it out loud is rude.
Brenda Della Casa is the Author of Cinderella Was a Liar, The Managing Editor of Preston Bailey, A Huffington Post Blogger and the Founder of BDC Life In Style. She is usually found in the gym hitting the speed bag to Eminem, having a wine-down with friends or writing with her beloved Chihuahua, Tony Che Montana, by her side. Facebook: BrendaDellaCasa Twitter: @BrendaDellaCasa Instagram: @BrendaDellaCasa