Don't let him fool you!
Whether you're in a serious relationship or just on the cusp of casual, chances are your guy has fed you one of these lines at least once. A lie is never a good thing, but sometimes the reasons behind them are harmless. Maybe he doesn't want you to get upset about the little things. Then again, it could be because he's hiding some BIG things. From the white lies to the serious signs of a breakup, we decode the top 7 lies men keep telling.
1. "We'll talk about it later." This little phrase helps most of men end an argument or potential squabble. In most cases, men really don't want to "talk about it later," because men never want to talk about it. Putting off the possibility of a blowup gives them some time to underline the uselessness of arguing over something so minute.
2. "I promise I don't know who that chick is who keeps calling me. I met her once at a party, but beyond that, we've never had a conversation." Now unless you've lived in a cave your entire life, you will know he's lying. Whether they hooked up or not is beside the point. There is no reason for her to continuously call your man, because she knows he's off the market...or does she?
3. "I have no idea how many women I've slept with. I don't count." Bullsh*t! He knows exactly how many and if he doesn't it's because his count is way too high for you to understand or even want to know! Sometimes things are just better left unsaid. Don't ASK.
4. "No, I can't call you. I don't even know where I'll be." These are the sad lies, the ones he tells because he's falling out of love. The more quickly a woman seeks the truth behind these lies, the sooner she can remedy the relationship — or, if necessary, end it.
5. "That's never happened before." I mean, there has to be a first time for everything, so logically, at some point, that statement would have been true, it's just doubtful that this was that time. He's embarrassed or ashamed. Just shake it off and say "no big deal," depending on the severity of it. Don't be a nag, that's not going to help get it out of him.
6. "I know it's been 5 years, I'm going to propose to you, I just need a little more time." RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! If you've been in a committed relationship for a decent amount of time, and he hasn't popped the question, he's more than likely not going to. Granted, I've known men to propose after 15 years, but do you really want to wait that long? With that being said, the vast majority of men know within the first two to three years of dating a woman if they are going to propose to that woman or not. He may postpone proposing to his woman because he doesn't feel stable in his career or because he's wondering if there might be another woman who would be a better match, but it shouldn't take five or more years to determine if you are "the one."
7. "Sorry I've been MIA, I'm dealing with some stuff right now." "Stuff." We hate this word. What are you talking about? That can mean anything. Well, more than likely his "stuff" is referring to another woman. The sleepovers he used to spend with you are now at a new address. However, he just can't bring himself to come clean. So instead of being a man he makes himself unavailable and aloof. He's hoping he can just slowly "fade out" of your life without having to explain anything. We say it's best to leave first at this point.
This article was originally published at Guest of a Guest. Reprinted with permission from the author.