By now most people have seen this piece of drivel, 15 Sassy Photos Show Why These Women are Rejecting the Feminist Movement. Sassy, for the love of all that's holy, someone actually referred to a rebuttal of feminism by calling those that do so sassy. Yessir, these broads are spitfires. Gonna take a real cowboy to tame these fillies.
It's times like this I am reminded of my favorite J.R.R. Tolkien quote. Speaking of The Shire he said, "They were sheltered, but they had ceased to remember it." Many of the women in that article look quite young, having grown up in the world that feminism fought to help build. They may think they don't need it, but their signs show that they clearly do. The tearing down of the patriarchy has a long way to go.
You know who else needs feminism? Men. Men like me, and today I thought I'd enlist some of my fellow male feminists to make our own signs.
1. "I need feminism because I don't like being treated like a trained monkey when I'm out with my daughter by ourselves."
2. "I need feminism because people judge me for working from home and being ‘domestic’ to support my wife's career."
3. "I need feminism because I'm not slacking ... family-rearing IS fulltime work!!"
4. "I do need feminism! Because unlike others that lay claim to 'critical thinking' I can actually read the data!! Facts are facts. We have a long way to go!"
In direct response to #5 on the sassy list, "I don't need feminism because I am capable of CRITICAL THINKING and I do not need other women representing ME."
5. "I need feminism because neither I nor my husband is 'the girl'."
6. "I need feminism because my father made me read Germaine Greer when I was 13. Ever since, I have women friends (not just girl friends — real friends — You should try — It's great)."
7. "I need feminism because I need contradiction."
8. "I need feminism because even though I work in a female-dominated field, men are still disproportionately represented in administration and make an average of $10,000 more. I need feminism because when I bought eyeliner for a Halloween costume, my son said, 'But daddy, that's girl stuff,' and I do not want him to grow up in a world that limits his self-expression based on his genitalia. I need feminism, truly, because very few men seek out the services of counselors and social workers when they're in emotional pain, since we're told all our lives that we should be able to handle anything — alone."
9. "I still need feminism because I am transitioning into a man — NOT a bully! The character of an individual should have nothing to do with their sex — or gender!"
10. "I need feminism because as a son I have felt the effects of how the world treats single motherhood. My nephew needs feminism for the same reason."
11. "I need feminism because there is no neutral stance on male hegemony. Silence = misogyny"