Welcome to 30 Days Of Love, our one-month initiative to bring you closer to the love you deserve just in time for Valentine's Day. Today, we're shining the spotlight on generosity — and its role in a fulfilling relationship.
Often overlooked, being selflessly kind, is incredibly crucial in relationships. In fact, it's one of the top three indicators of a happy marriage, along with sexual satisfaction and commitment. According to a study by the University of Virginia's National Marriage Project, couples who reported a high amount of generosity in their relationship were five times more likely to say their marriage was "very happy."
And luckily, whether you're married or in a relationship, being mindful can be effortless — it just takes small gestures.
See 30 super simple ways to be more generous below.
1. Give your significant other a genuine compliment. Without expecting one in return.
2. Surprise your partner with their favorite meal. Even when you were really craving sushi.
3. Make him or her coffee in the morning. You may have to get up a little earlier, but making their morning will be worth it.
4. Wake your sweetheart up with a massage. Is there a better way to rise and shine?
5. Hold his or her hand. In public and on the couch at home.
6. Hand over the remote. As hard as it may seem at the time, remember it's just television. It's not worth the argument.
7. Leave a handwritten note in their pocket. Even one that simply says "I love you" shows how important they are to you.
8. Pick up their favorite snack on the way home. It's a small gesture, but one that shows you were thinking of significant other.
9. Tell him or her how sexy they are. Who doesn't want to hear that? Keeping things flirty and reminding your partner you're attracted to them goes a long way.
10. Let it go. The dishes, the clothes on the floor, the milk he forgot at the store. Forget the little things.
11. Get your partner to crack a smile after a long day. It'll make them forget whatever they were stressed about.
12. Let him or her have the last bite.
13. Make reservations at their favorite restaurant on your next date night.
14. Share. Whether it's some of your Ben & Jerry's or your blanket, remind them what's yours is theirs.
15. Make a list of things you love about your partner. And share it with them. They'll feel loved and appreciated.
16. Listen. Without interruptions. It shows you care and will help you communicate better. Even when you're arguing, it's important for them to know they can express themselves and they'll be respected.
17. Cooperate. Think things through before making impulsive decisions or jumping to conclusions.
18. Cheer him up. Even when you're having a bad day.
19. Say "Thank you". For the little things and the bigger ones.
20. Do a small task for your partner. Whether it's taking their clothes to the cleaner's or washing their car, helping them out when they're busy lets them know you're a team.
21. Breakfast in bed. Who wouldn't appreciate that? Can't go wrong.
22. Make reservations at the vegan or BBQ restaurant they've been dying to try.
23. Put yourself in their shoes. Thinking about how your partner feels, whether you're in an argument or not, will help you understand them better.
24. Surprise your partner with their favorite dessert. Brownies, cronuts, Skittles, whatever it may be, Treat your love with treats.
25. Show your support their goals. Your support means everything to your significant other. Remind them you're rooting for them.
26. Send your partner a loving text before a presentation or tough day. Remind them you're their biggest fan.
27. Start a sentence with "I love when you ... " Expressing admiration for your partner shows how much you value who they are.
28. Give a small gift. For no occasion.
29. Forgive. For that one thing you were still holding against them.
30. Kiss your partner goodbye. Each and every time.
More juicy stories from YourTango: