Hey, let's talk about the clitoris!
That's what artist Sophia Wallace, creator of the CLITERACY, 100 Natural Laws project, wants more of us to do. Wallace explained to Creem magazine, "It is curious to observe the paradox that on the one hand, the female body is the primary metaphor for sexuality. Its use saturates advertising, art and mainstream erotic imagery. Yet, the clitoris, the true female sexual organ — is virtually invisible."
More from YourTango: 20 Dreamy Dresses For A Beach Wedding
Wallace set out to make it way more visible, with a compilation of "natural laws" that addressed and challenged our ideas about the clitoris, sex, virginity, orgasms and more, telling Creem, "One wonders, how is it possible that something seemingly so known, is still unknown?"
One does wonder! But don't worry, we're here to help Wallace make the unknown just a little bit more known. Read on for some fascinating facts about the clitoris. If nothing else, they make for great conversation starters at parties and work meetings.
1. If you don't know much about the clitoris, don't blame yourself. It wasn't until the 1990s that researchers even used MRIs to study its internal structure and sexual function. And it wasn't until 1998 that urologist Helen O'Connell published her findings on the true scope and size of the clitoris.
2. There are about 8,000 nerve endings in the clitoris glans, double the nerve endings as men have at the head of the penis. Not that it's a contest or anything, guys. Now where did I put my #1 Clitoris trophy…
3. The clitoris is the only organ that exists for the sole purpose of providing pleasure.
4. Due to hormonal changes, the size of the clitoris increases throughout a woman’s life, becoming about four times larger when she's in her mid-thirties than it was at the onset of puberty. Woo, a plus side to aging!
5. Don't judge a book by its cover and don't judge a clitoris by what you can see of it, as the saying goes, right? The average clitoris is actually around four inches in length, most of it being hidden inside the body.
6. The origins of the word "clitoris" have been traced back to the ancient Greek word for "key," as well as verb "kleitoriazein," which means to touch or titillate lasciviously or to seek pleasure.
7. Like Justin Timberlake, the clitoris remains at the peak of its power pretty much forever once it's mature. Meaning that it'll give you the same orgasmic capacity when you're 90 as it did in your 20s (probably also like Justin Timberlake).
More from YourTango: 8 Annoying Pickup Tactics We Are So Over
Written by Diana Vilibert, from Care2.