You know that saying, "I don't know art, but I know what I like"? Well, that pretty much sums up the clitoris for me. I don't fully comprehend it, and honestly, I don't try to dive too deep into its complexities. I just appreciate it, and as such, want it displayed prominently, highly revered, and ideally touched up regularly with some powerful brush strokes (preferably clockwise).
This week, however, just happens to be International Clitoris Awareness Week (seriously, this is an actual thing!) So to properly celebrate, we're schooling you on the things you probably — no, definitely — never knew about the mythical clitoris (aka the only part of the body designed solely to get you off).
More from YourTango: Power Women: 4 Must-Know Dating Secrets Of Successful Ladies
Because like my art history teacher and pretty much every after school special used to preach, understanding is the key to fully attaining your masterpiece.
And remember, masterpiece means orgasm here. So, yeah, listen up.
1. The word "clitoris" is derived from the Greek word for "key". As in key to your heart, or probably more accurate, the key to the city as it can certainly open lots of doors.
2. Thought you knew where your clitoris was? Nope, it's not just that little button (the glans, if we're being scientific). It's actually within the pelvis — extending deep within you. Don't believe me? See a diagram from the Museum Of Sex here.
3. Like a fine wine, your clitoris gets better with age. It's reported that the clitoris starts growing upon puberty, and is almost quadruple in size by the time you reach early 30s; by menopause, seven times its size. That whole "why old people allegedly get it on a lot" theory is suddenly becoming crystal clear.
4. There are 8,000 nerve endings in the clitoris. 8,000! Sorta makes you wonder about the guys who can't get you off, amiright?
5. It's got some penis personality. Although they couldn't physically look any more different, there are a few striking similarities in their make-up including erectile tissue, foreskin and even a shaft. Oh, and the clitoris also grows when aroused, it just doesn't prop through our pants when the wind hits it right (or, not that you can see anyway.) Religious or not, that deserves an Amen.
More from YourTango: Win The Classic Timbuk2 Messenger Bag!
Want to know more? Get even more essential facts.
More juicy stories from YourTango: