The dos and don'ts of dating a co-worker.
Considering how much time we spend at work, it makes sense that eventually we just might find ourselves crushing on a co-worker. Thanks to such social events like work Happy Hour, sometimes that crush can evolve into a mutual interest and before you know it, you're dating someone with whom you work. Suddenly you're known as "Pam and Jim" with your colleagues and it can, if not handled with care, lead to a precarious situation.
So if love is obviously in the air, hovering over those rows of cubicles, how should you handle it? We asked YourTango expert Dina Colada how to make this type of relationship work, without rocking the boat.
1. Be cool. Even if you want to mount your new special buddy every time you see them in the hallway; that’s a big don't. As Colada suggests, "Do sneak a flirty glance and a wink to that office cutie to let him know you are thinking about him." If you're anyone with a pulse, you've been shooting flirty glances since you were 13, so being cool, should be easy for you.
2. Leave the drama outside. The best part about working with your new boyfriend or girlfriend is you get to see them all the time! Yeah! The worst part about working with them is you get to see them all the time. Ugh. Learn to be professional, even if you're arguing with your love. Do "be in charge of your emotions. If you feel upset, go to the bathroom and take a few deep breaths to help calm you down." You don't want to make your other co-workers uncomfortable.
3. Be realistic. Sometimes things don't work out and people break up. Do you think you'll be able to stand working with this person if the relationship comes to an end? Will you be able to "emotionally handle" it if the demise comes and he starts dating Suzie-Q in accounting? Do realize that this is something you should really evaluate about yourself before you completely hand over your heart to the relationship. Keep Reading ...
More dating advice from YourTango:
- The Secret To Successful Online Dating
- Ladies, You Need To Watch Out For These Online Dating Red Flags
- 5 Signs You're Dating Mr. Wrong