A Motorola RAZR can be a turn-off in this day and age.
It's a dreary weekday morning. You're on your way to Starbucks to get your Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte (this marks the second time I've mentioned the Pumpkin Spice Latte in a post this week! Go me!), and while you're waiting in line, you start chatting it up with a cute guy in front of you. He's hilarious and you guys are really hitting it off. Before he leaves, he asks for your number. As you start giving it to him, he pulls out an old flip phone. This hot guy is saving your number into an old Motorola RAZR. So, is it a turn-off? With the iPhone 5 debuting today, it's weird to think that there are still people out there on the EDGE network. But there are. Here is why some of us would never a date a guy without a smartphone ... and why some weirdos among us would.
1. How would you date the RAZR-owning guy knowing that he could never quickly look up Yelp reviews of the restaurant you're about to eat at or never check that email you sent him at the last second saying you're going to be 45 minutes late? As far as any concerns about distraction, there are definitely times you and your partner can agree to turn off the phones for an hour and just be together. I would much rather have to do that than be with a guy who can only play Snake in black and white and make phone calls with his phone. I already have to keep my parents in the loop about new technologies; I don't want to have to tell my boyfriend about them too. - Jessica, blogger (me!)
2. I feel like the guy who doesn't own a smartphone in 2012 is going to be kind of behind the times in other ways, so that's why I would never date one. I want to be with someone who's up on things. I also get really annoyed when people ask me for directions or to look up information just because they haven't shelled out for an iPhone yet. It's the most useful thing ever! You can look up anything, anytime, and you don't look like a blast from the recent past. I think that's worth a bit of an investment. - Natalie, Senior Associate Editor
1. I would definitely still a date a guy even if he didn't have a smart phone. I mean, I wouldn't let my dream guy get away just because he didn't have an iPhone. I started dating my boyfriend before we both had smartphones and we could still get in touch with each other with normal phones. Also, this restaurant will even give you a discount for giving up your phone over dinner: Not a bad idea at all! - Allie, intern
More juicy content from YourTango:
- 7 Signs He Wants To Kiss You Right. This. Second.
- What Is Mobile Dating? Should I Try It?
- Ladies, You Need To Watch Out For These Online Dating Red Flags
2. There are downsides to dating a guy with a smartphone. You've heard of the football widow? Well, there are also iPhone football widows. They are the wives and girlfriends of men who can't stop checking the score on their phones ... even during dinner. - Rachel, Associate Editor, YourTango Experts
3. I actually completely hate how ridiculously addicted my boyfriend is to his phone. We can't get through dinner or even a conversation without him having to constantly check-in on Facebook or text something. Yes, I think it's important to be connected, but there comes a point where it's almost an obsession. I don't think having a fancy phone is really important at all. Any phone to just get in touch when necessary is perfect. I mean do we really need to be Facebook-stalking 24/7? - Emily C., intern
1. I think it's quaint. It would be a pain staying at her house and not being able to charge my iPhone but I could bring my own charger, I suppose. - Tom, General Manager
2. Dating a guy without a smartphone is the same as dating a much younger guy. You are the one who makes all the decisions and you get to feel like you're smarter, which is not a bad thing at all! - Sarah R., YourTango reader
3. Honestly, I've never really thought about it as a dealbreaker. My boyfriend has a smartphone and did when we started dating, but it wasn't something I was consciously thinking about. But, we are long distance so both of us having a smartphone makes it WAY easier to talk to each other more, since we can use Facebook and Skype in addition to texting. - Laura W., intern
How about you? Are you running out to get the iPhone 5 or are you happy with your old flip phone? Would you date a guy who doesn't own a smartphone?