Happy National Puppy Day! You and that boyfriend of yours should think about getting a puppy or two.
Oh hey, it's National Puppy Day. What a great excuse to talk about cute, fuzzy things I love (and want to own, soon).
Adopting a puppy together could do wonders for your relationship. Why? Let's put aside the fact that puppies are adorable, because that's a given. There are more great reasons to get a puppy with your partner:
1. It's an opportunity to take care of a living thing without taking on the major responsibilities of having children. Taking care of a puppy or other pet together can either serve as practice for having kids — or teach you that you don't actually ever want to procreate.
3. With a puppy, you don't feel as lonely when your partner is out of town.
4. If you have a great name that just won't work for a kid, you can name the dog that.
5. As self-help guru Hugh Prather said, "Love expands." Adding a puppy to your love-fest means more love all around.
6. A lot of dogs are living in animal shelters and are in need of care. By adopting a puppy, you'll be doing a good deed together. Go to PetFinder.com to find a shelter near you.
Do you think owning a pet can help your relationship? Sound off in the comments.
More juicy couple stories from YourTango: