With all of the mistletoe, roaring fireplaces, and hot chocolate for two, the holidays provide a perfect back-drop for a romantic engagement or wedding. So it's no wonder that the celebrity couples below decided to make their relationships official during the winter months!
1. Some might say that when Marc Mezvinsky married former first daughter Chelsea Clinton, he married her famous parents too, so it makes sense that the family-oriented couple first got engaged over Thanksgiving weekend in 2009. We wonder if it was Chelsea's sweet potato casserole recipe that finally caused Marc to pop the question!
2. Hugh Hefner may have popped the question to fiancee Crystal Harris on Christmas Eve 2010, but, sadly, his New Year's wishes did not come true, as Crystal infamously called the relationship off just days before their June 2011 wedding.
3. Russell Brand and Katy Perry rang in 2010 as newly engaged sweethearts! The British comedian proposed to the Teenage Dream singer shortly before midnight on New Year's Eve inside of a tent at the foot of an Indian mountain. Katy Perry And Russell Brand Are Engaged
4. During a Christmas Eve wedding in Telluride, Colorado, Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, (who later split in 2001), said their "I do's" in a scientology ceremony in 1990.
5. Lily Allen's now-husband Sam Cooper surprised her with what might have been the best Christmas present ever when he popped the question to the British singer on Christmas Day 2010. "Happy Holidays everyone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx," she Tweeted later that night.
6. Their relationship may be on shaky ground these days, but back in 1997, Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett-Smith tied the knot on New Year's Eve in Baltimore, Maryland, and read each other love letters during their vows. Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Deny Divorce, Marc Anthony Affair
7. Dexter co-stars Jennifer Carpenter and Michael C. Hall also married on New Year's Eve during a secret, outdoor ceremony in California in 2008. Sadly, they only celebrated one anniversary before divorcing in 2010.
8. Former American Idol singer Kellie Pickler decided to spend her holidays in the Caribbean and eloped with Kyle Jacobs on New Year's Day 2011. Kellie later mentioned in an interview that her wedding date, 1/1/11, held a special meaning for her, as she considered 11 to be her lucky number.
Tell us CelebLovers, is combining engagements/weddings with holidays special or overdone?
Photo Credit: Getty