The prospect of dating a new person can be a bit overwhelming. Despite your excitement at the prospect of a potential relationship, there is always some amount of nervous anxiety that goes along with making a first impression. Since you neither know the person nor have a good idea of their taste, you don’t want to scare them away by going overboard with dinner at a five-star restaurant or completely underwhelm by flaunting your status as a dollar menunaire. On the other hand, visiting a middle-of-the-road establishment could be kind of bland, or worse, utterly forgettable. What if this person doesn’t even like to eat?! The point is, the whole dinner and a movie thing has been done. If you really want to impress your date you’re going to need to pull out the big guns by showcasing your interests in a unique and fun way. And here are a few ideas to get you going in the right direction.
1. Roller derby. It doesn’t get much better than the shoving, tripping, fast-paced battle that occurs in the roller rink. If your date likes a little action and a lot of cheering, then the roller derby could make for a really entertaining night out.
2. Stand-up comedy. Adding a little laughter to the evening couldn’t hurt your chances of coming off as a fun date, especially if you march yourself up on stage to participate in an amateur night. The same goes for karaoke, which can be pretty amusing even if you’re bad (as long as you can really commit to butchering “I Will Survive” and then laugh about it afterward).
3. Astronomical event. More romantic than a candlelit dinner is a night of stargazing on the hood of your car (don’t forget the blanket and a bottle of wine). A good time is during a meteor shower or other event that can serve as a conversation starter and a distraction in case of awkward silences (or an excellent backdrop for a first kiss).
More Juicy Content From YourTango:
- 8 Romantic Daytime Date Ideas
- First Date Dos and Don'ts
- Think Outside The Cafe: 5 Creative First Date Ideas [EXPERT]