Getting ready for a first date is never easy. Between the expectations, nervousness and excitement it usually doesn't go as planned. In fact, a first date is often awkward and a bit uncomfortable. After all, you're getting to know someone for the first time. Instead of worrying about the possibility of the date going wrong, take a look at 15 easy ways you can make your first date less awkward and more of a success! The Frisky: Do You Celebrate Your "Dating Anniversary"?
1. Do an activity you can enjoy together: Go with what you know. If you both like the outdoors, try going for a walk or biking through a nearby park together. Animal lovers? Maybe a trip to the zoo? After all, when was the last time you had a good excuse to go? Athletic? Maybe try taking a yoga class together or going bowling. Like to dine? Try wine tasting, but just make sure you don't drink too much!
2. Wear something you're comfortable in: Trying to pull off a new trend or wearing something you don't feel confident in on a first date might make you feel more nervous. When it comes to dates, you're always better under-dressed than over-dressed. Wearing jeans and a nice shirt is always a smart way to go. Heels or no heels, you'll always look put-together.
3. Don't go anywhere too fancy: Going to a fancy restaurant on a first date might make you feel like you have to be on your best behavior, making you tense up rather than just be yourself. Fancy means pricey, and pricey can make anyone on a date feel uncomfortable if they can't afford it.
4. Stay away from loud places: A first date is all about getting acquainted with the other person and learning about them. However, you can't learn much if you can't hear what they are saying.
5. Do your research: We’re not saying every first date you’re going to go on will involve birth control, but never let yourself be unprepared. If it comes to it, there are a lot of ways to avoid an awkward night or morning after. Bedsider.org is a hugely helpful resource to get more information on which birth control method is right for you, giving you one less thing to have to worry about on your date. If you already have it figured out, it’ll probably be a huge relief to your date too! At Bedsider, you can find your perfect method, set up a reminder to take your birth control consistently in a way that isn’t annoying or cheesy. You can get a ton of information on common myths and do a zip code search to find a medical provider who can help you find the best method for you. And with all of that out of the way, you’ll be free to actually enjoy your date in the moment!
6. Steer clear of the movie theater: Taking in a new movie that you both want to see is always a good idea, but unless you're going to do something before or after, it does not leave much room for conversation. Maybe try a cute place for dessert after the movie. This way you can indulge in something tasty and have something to talk about too. The Frisky: 11 Reasons Not To Call Him Back
More juicey stories from YourTango: