1. Exfoliate. Want a seriously close shave? Exfoliate first with a scrub. Stay away from more sensitive skin, but for your legs, choose a sugar scrub: it's strong enough to get the job done, leaving skin and body hair ready for a smooth shave.
We Recommend: Sephora Fresh Brown Body Scrub. It's pure brown sugar mixed with soothing, skin-softening oils: tough enough to scrub away dry and dead skin, but not too abrasive for your gams.
2. Shower Smart: Resist the urge for a super steamy shower: keep water warm, not hot, which dries out skin. Instead of lathering up with hand soap, choose a body wash that will quench skin. Take your time—let your pores open up for a few minutes before breaking out the razor and shaving cream.
We Recommend: Olay Body Wash Plus Exfoliating Ribbons. This gentle formula is the first body wash with an actual ribbon of seaweed extract and micro beads that scrub away dry, dead cells to reveal silky, velvety-smooth skin underneath. This wash is mild enough for your arms, back and torso. 5 Ways To Get The Glowing Skin Men Love
3. Get a Smooth Shave: You can exfoliate, scrub, and moisturize until the cows come home, but using the right razor will make all the difference. Skip the dollar store disposables and choose a razor with at least three blades... and throw it away after a few uses. How do you know it's time for a new blade? A good razor should glide smoothly and effortlessly along your skin, especially after you've exfoliated and applied shaving gel. If you feel like you have to push down to get a smooth shave, it's time for a new razor—and probably a Band-Aid.
We Recommend: Gillette Venus Spa Breeze. These razors have built-in shave gel bars so there's no need for separate shaving gel: just add water!
4. Prevent Ingrowns: Exfoliating before shaving is the first step to preventing ingrowns, but it might not get the job done if you're prone to them. Cortisone cream will help treat irritation and ingrowns that already exist. If you have sensitive skin, make it a habit to use a product specially formulated to prevent ingrowns right after shaving.
We Recommend: Prince Reigns Ingrown Hair Serum. We've been swearing by Prince Reigns for years, and so does Gisele Bundchen! Apply post shower to prevent painful ingrown hairs: the serum isn't sticky or stinging, and it won't clog your pores. 5 Easy Steps to Radiant Skin
5. Moisturize: The best way to lock in moisture is to lotion up right after the shower while your skin is still damp—it'll trap and seal in the moisture already on your skin. Then, air dry for a few minutes, letting the lotion sink in. It may feel a little slimy going on, but you'll notice difference all day: your skin will look healthier and feel softer.