During the holidays, it can be easy to lose sight of what’s really important. Between decorating the house, catering to guests, buying, wrapping and shipping gifts, and basically running around like a wild banshee, it can be hard to find a minute for yourself, much less your significant other. But if you neglect your most important relationship, both of you are likely to reach the actual holidays feeling burnt out and nowhere near the spirit of the season. In short, you’re shooting yourself in the foot. You need to take a step back and prioritize. Baking cookies for your office is not necessary and buying gifts for charity can be made easier by simply sending your organization of choice a check. So make some extra time to lavish your significant other with attention and you’ll be sure to receive the same in kind. Here are just a few ways to treat your honey right this holiday season in order to make them feel special.
1. Massage. There’s no better way to relax during this stressful season than with a little hands-on attention. Whether you’re offering to rub a small area (shoulders, feet) or you’re giving a full-body massage complete with aromatherapy candles, your special someone is bound to feel like they’ve died and gone to heaven when you give them the healing touch.
More from YourTango: What Your Guy's Nightmares Really Mean
2. Chores. Nothing says “take a load off” like tackling your partner’s share of the chores. If you find that you have extra time over the holidays, surprise your significant other by taking on his or her household tasks in addition to your own. Sometimes the gift of a little free time is the best thing you can give during this hectic season.
3. Express appreciation. With so many distractions and obligations, it’s all too easy to take your loved ones for granted. But over time, this can spell disaster for your relationship. So make sure your significant other feels special by taking the time to remind them that you love them and why.
4. Cook breakfast. It’s the little things in life that make all the difference. And sometimes hopping out of bed early to throw together a special breakfast of pancakes or an omelet is just the ticket. You likely know your honey’s favorites, so whip them up and have breakfast in bed.
5. Flirt indiscriminately. A busy schedule may take some of the spice and spontaneity out of your relationship, and there’s no doubt that it takes thought and effort to keep things fresh. So do your best to keep your partner’s interest piqued by leaving flirty notes around the house, sending steamy texts, and orchestrating sultry glances across the dinner table (with a little game of footsie underneath).
More from YourTango: Ring, Buzz, Ring: 7 Ways Your Phone Is Destroying Your Love Life
6. Book a trip. If all else fails and you simply need to get away, plan a weekend (or longer) for you and your honey. Sometimes turning off the cell phones and escaping is the best way to show your significant other that there is nothing more important to you than their happiness. So kidnap your partner and whisk them away from the madding crowds. A little time alone can help solidify your relationship and ensure that the joy of the season isn’t lost in the shuffle.